Senior Bars Reappear Despite Ban by College

By Angela C. Loh

Senior bars are cropping up all over campus again this spring--despite a formal ban put on them two years ago by the College.

College officials seem to be continuing last year's practice of tolerating the bars as long the festivities do not become unruly.

The bars--which usually take place in dining halls or in students' common rooms--offer seniors a chance to mix with their classmates and imbibe a few drinks along the way.

"It's basically seeing a lot of people you may not have seen since freshman year" and "celebrating the end of four years of school," said Adams resident Robert W. Carney '89, who hosted one of the parties in his room two nights ago.

Carney said that after freshman year, there is little opportunity for activities which bring an entire class together.

"There's real need for class-wide events," Carney said. "The social life... and class spirit is lacking enough."

The College outlawed senior bars in the spring of 1987 when officials said the events became uncontrollably noisy and crowded.

But an administrator said yesterday that the bars had quieted considerably since the formal ban.

"In the last several years, things have been more manageable than in earlier years," Assistant Dean of the College for Housing Thomas A. Dingman '67 said yesterday.

Dingman said the parties are subject to the same rules as any other house parties. And the bars cannot be "publicized as across-the-class bashes," Dingman said.

The series of parties have been running since spring break and will continue almost nightly through April 29, said a senior involved with the bars. She asked not to be identified.

Some hosts may choose to check identification at the door, said the senior. But she added that most bars are open to sophomores and juniors who live in the house.

The volunteers who host each party cover all expenses, Carney said. But he added that some hosts may ask guests for donations to spread the financial burden.