Why Allow Greeks?

By Timothy S. Gramling

YES, I am a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

Harvard's administration is intolerant of Greek-lettered organizations, for various reasons. Undoubtedly among them are incidents of hazing that have occurred at campuses aorund this country, as well as the risks involved in pledge programs. But the time has come for a reconsideration of these arguments, and a reevaluation of the opinions which those like Dean of Students Archie C. Epps hold concerning "greeks."

Why should Harvard recognize fraternities and sororities on ts campus? Unfortunately, Harvard has chosen to take a negative approach to this question, seeking reasons why the University should not allow fraternities and sororities here.

Answers to this means of inquisition are usually trite and pat, such as horror stories on state college campuses about pledgees who are forced to drink themselves to death, or who fall out of franternity-house second-story windows. The administration then concludes that it will not support putting its students at such risks, and Greek organizations are thus denied recognition.

THIS kind of negative approach is flawed in two ways. First, it takes the easy way out of truly considering allowing fraternities and sororities on this campus. If Harvard were truly considering greeks on campus, it would have to conduct some sort of investigation to find the pros and cons of recognizing such groups. Simply relying on press reports of isolated incidents around the United States is not sufficient.

In all fairness, Harvard's administration should consider other factors, such as the frequency of accidents and malicious incidents in pledge programs, especially in the Boston area, and perhaps in the Ivy League as well. In addition, Harvard should investigate the reasons that MIT does recognize greeks, if only to review the issues that were raised.

The other reason that Harvard's negative approach to the question is erroneous involves the members of the fraternities and sororities themselves. Some of the most influential and productive citizens of the United States are or were members of the fraternities and sororities, among them the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Louis Sullivan of the Bush cabinet and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall (all of them members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity). If organizations that could boast of such people were allowed to organize on Harvard's campus, the benefits to the Harvard, Cambridge and Boston communities would be immeasurable.

IT is clear from these arguments that Harvard should not be so smug in rejecting the notion of greeks on this campus. But another issue that arises from this discussion is that of the final clubs. They are in many respects similar to fraternities and sororities (in selective membership, for example); yet Harvard does not recognize them on campus. Why should greeks be treated differently?

This question fails to understand why final clubs are not recognized here. Because they exclude females from membership, and because Harvard does not agree with that policy, final clubs are non-existent as far as the administration is concerned. But fraternities and sororities are not single-sex organizations for social reasons, as are the final clubs.

Greeks, especially those that are historically Black in membership, were founded on the basis of such community service and leadership. Fraternities and sororities are not self-serving; their purpose is to serve others. Often this purpose is accomplished though scholarships, philanthropic foundations and volunteer work.

This service mentality can be seen in the fraternal prayer of Alpha Phi Alpha: "O, Lord, may the true spirit of fraternity rule our hearts, guide our thoughts and control our lives, so that we may become, through thee, servants of all."

But these noble ideals and aims will never be achieved in Cambridge unless Harvard's administration gives more serious and thorough consideration to the prospect of recognizing Greek-lettered organizations on this campus.