Terrorists Spare Life of American Hostage

Group Now Demands Release of Palestinian and Lebanese Guerrillas

BEIRUT--The pro-Iranian group holding Joseph J. Cicippio said yesterday it would spare his life temporarily but indicated that the American still could be killed "within days" unless Israel met new, tougher terms.

When the original threat to kill Cicippio was made Monday, his captors demanded the release of a Shiite Moslem cleric Israeli commandos kidnapped July 28. The new terms include release of unspecified "Palestinian and Lebanese" guerrillas.

The Lebanese group sent a videotaped message to a Western news agency to announce the indefinite postponement of Cicippio's execution.

On the videotape, Cicippio said: "I appeal to each person having honor who can move to release Sheik Abdul Karim Obeid, don't be late because they are very serious to hang us and the period become very soon and the hours very little."

Cicippio, 58, has a bushy beard and was shown from the waist up reading from a statement. The poor English suggested it was written by his captors.

He wore glasses, was dressed in a blue track suit and appeared haggard and distressed.

"My dear wife and people and all...human society and especially the Red Cross, don't leave me," he said. "So to help me move I demand from the American people to oblige Israel to release Sheik Abdul Karim Obeid immediately because his kidnapping is not human."

"We the American people are always the victims of Israel's politics and President Bush has not helped to free us," said Cicippio, who was acting comptroller of the American University of Beirut when he was abducted Sept. 12, 1986.

His voice broke with emotion when he ended the appeal with this message for his Lebanese wife, Elham Ghandour, a secretary at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut:

"Goodbye, my wife. If you don't hear my voice and see my face again, I want you to look after yourself, and don't be sad, and always remember me."

The White House said yesterday that President Bush has made no decision on whether to use military retaliation if terrorists kill a second American hostage in Lebanon, but a spokesperson said the "foundation planning" has been done for every scenario.

"It's very difficult to express very much optimism when they still have one hostage whose life is under threat and others who are in captivity with no immediate prospects for relief," said White House spokesperson Marlin Fitzwater.

Asked about reports that Bush had decided to take military action if Cicippio were killed, Fitzwater said no final decision has been made.

Sheik Abbas Mousawi, a senior Hezbollah leader, told journalists its "reprisal will be ruthless if America undertakes a military action against hostage-holding groups."