Believe in Yourself

Commentary

By Jennifer BRUMAGE Kim oneill

THE admissions office doesn't make mistakes. Really, they don't. Despite all the popular misconceptions of being the huge oversight, each member of the Class of 1993 is absolutely qualified to be here. Understand it. Live it.

And as the week goes on, you'll realize that while each of your classmates has a talent that may be intimidating or unbelievable, it is important to remember that it is the amalgamation of all of these talents--singing, athletic ability, debating, acting, etc.--that makes the Class of '93 unique.

The Crimson Key Society each year sponsors Orientation Week, an opportunity to watch the abilities of the class coalesce. The administration is responsible for the exams; we're responsible for the fun. All of these events--from the ice cream bash to the infamous first-year mixer--are designed to dispel the popular myths that all Harvard students are geeks, snobs, etc.

Harvard students, believe it or not, are people, too. Yes, your classmates are exceptional; the performances in the talent show on the steps of Lamont last Tuesday night demonstrate this. But you must keep in mind you are exceptional, too.

Eighty-five percent of Harvard applicants are academically qualified. Being in the top 16 percent of this group, you'll have little or no problem doing the work here if you apply yourself.

Competition is what you make it. Yes, there will be some people in your sections that are full of "flex questions," but most of your peers probably feel as clueless as you do. Although you may not ace every class, the vast majority of your friends and classmates are in the same position.

ALTHOUGH Harvard is an outstanding academic institution, it has much to offer outside the classroom. Don't be afraid to try something you've never seen or even heard of before. Play rugby, join a dance class, write for one of the dozens of publications--even if you've never done anything like that before. It could be the greatest experience of your life.

Let's face it--you've got four years to make the most of Harvard. We say carpe diem.

Just sit back and enjoy your first year. Granted, Harvard can be a stressful place, but there are literally thousands of fascinating people around you who have so much to share. Express your talents; share in theirs.

In three years or so, when you're reflecting on your Harvard career, you'll be so glad you did. Keep an open mind--take classes you never thought you would. You never know what you'll end up concentrating in.

Quite simply: do not be intimidated. In sum, whether it be on the stage, in the classroom, or on the playing field, each of you possesses the capability for excellence. And if you forget that, find one of us, and we'll remind you.

Our advice: have a great year relaxing with your roommates, study hard, get involved, and most importantly, believe in yourself.

Jennifer Brumage '90 is president of the Crimson Key Society. Kim O'Neill '91 is a member of the organization.