W. Booters Blank 'Cats, 1-0

Johnston Tallies Lone Goal; Reilly Shines

By Michael R. Grunwald

The Harvard women's soccer team travelled to the Granite State yesterday to take on New Hampshire, but it was the Wildcats who ran into a brick wall--Crimson goaltender Beth Reilly.

Harvard center forward Robin Johnston's goal early in the first half was all Reilly needed. The junior netminder handled 12 UNH shots to preserve the Crimson's 1-0 victory yesterday in Durham, N.H.

Early on, the Crimson (2-0 overall, 1-0 Ivy) seemed to be coasting to a replay of its 6-0 victory last Saturday against Columbia.

Once again, the Crimson braved pouring rain. Once again, Harvard got on the board early. And once again, it was Johnston who assumed the scoring responsibilities with an outside shot from outside the penalty box.

Johnston received a header from junior halfback Tracy Hackeling, turned away from two defenders and rifled a right-footed half-volley into the left corner of the net for her fifth goal of the young season.

But the Wildcat defense, led by sweeper Maura Naughton, clamped down. The UNH attackers, mean-while, aggressively turned up the pressure on Reilly, while Harvard dropped into a passive defensive posture. Reilly turned back each Wildcat scoring opportunity.

With five minutes left to play, a Wildcat corner kick nearly broke the ice. Reilly yelled for her defenders to clear, but miscommunication resulted in a loose ball in the muddy slot. Reilly rushed out to grab it, but a UNH forward knocked her down. No whistle.

A Wildcat pounced on the bouncing prize, and her shot dribbled towards the far corner of the open goal. But Reilly was too quick, swiping the ball out of bounds just before it broke the plane of the goal.

"Thank God Beth's finger's were long enough," Johnston said. "That play was completely Beth's whole-hearted effort. She played amazing all day--she really saved us."

The Crimson cannot count on Reilly to perform miracles every game. To challenge for the Ivy title, Reilly said her squad would have to turn their games up a notch.

"There was something missing today," Reilly said. "We were really waiting for the game to be over--we were lucky to walk away with a win."

Lucky or not, the win counts. And Johnston's preseason work with Coach Tim Wheaton to quicken her shot release could be the difference between a 5-8 1988 Ivy season and a possible Ivy championship.

"It's the kind of shot she wouldn't have taken last year," Reilly said. "It wasn't a great scoring opportunity, but good things happen when you shoot the ball."

And with Reilly in goal, one good thing was all Harvard needed.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson will take on William & Mary in its home opener Saturday.