Clean-Up Bags Tons of Debris

Hundreds Clear Beaches of Non-Biodegradable Eyesores

BOSTON--Tons of styrofoam hamburger boxes, plastic cups, bottles and other non-biodegradable eyesores were plucked from the state's beaches by citizens committed to keeping their shorelines clean.

Thousands of Massachusetts residents plucked pounds of debris piece-by-piece from the state's beaches yesterday as part of a coastal cleanup effort underway in 29 states nationwide.

"It's been a very successful effort so far, and it's not over yet," said Anne Smrcina, who coordinated the weekend Coastsweep effort.

Foul weather delayed the day-long anti-trash campaign by 24 hours, but as the sun came out yesterday so did about 2700 residents of 30 communities.

Environmental activists, young and old, covered about 125 miles of beach from Marblehead to Nantucket, said Smrcina, who is also an information and education specialist with the state's office of Coastal Zone Management.

"In all, we collected about 28 tons of debris," Smrcina said. "And we still have about 15 communities who will hold cleanups either next Saturday or the one after that."

She said several cities were unable to accommodate yesterday's rain date, which was declared "because of the threat of [Hurricane] Hugo and the predictions of torrential rains and possible lightening, heavy winds and surf."

The Coastsweep, part of an 8-year-old nationwide celebration known as Coast Weeks, kicked off at Revere Beach. About 200 people collected 4 tons of garbage -- and still they couldn't say their work was through.

"We just didn't have enough people to completely clean that 2-mile stretch of beach," Smrcina said.