W. Booters To Challenge Defending Champs Brown

The season is still young, but the Harvard women's soccer team faces its toughest challenge of the season at 4 p.m. today when the Crimson (2-1-1 overall, 1-0-0 Ivy) plays defending Ivy League champion Brown (4-0-1 overall, 1-0-1 Ivy) at Stevenson Field in Providence.

Brown has dominated the Ivy League throughout this decade, winning or sharing seven straight titles since Harvard's 1981 crown.

"If you were going to say what the biggest Ivy contest of the year was, you'd have to say Brown," Harvard goaltender Beth Reilly said. "It's an even bigger game because they've already tied Dartmouth. They're already vulnerable. If we beat them, our fate is in our own hands."

"Our goal is to win the Ivy League," said forward Robin Johnston who netted five goals in the Crimson's first two games. "A win this Friday is not only important in the Ivy League, but it would also give us momentum."

The Crimson had momentum early in the season after crushing Columbia, 6-0. Johnston scored four goals that game earning Ivy League Player of the Week honors. Harvard followed with a 1-0 squeaker over New Hampshire.

But last weekend, the momentum shifted. On Saturday, the Crimson fell to William & Mary, 2-0, then tied Holy Cross the next day despite dominating the action. The problem lately has been scoring.

"We've created the opportunities," Coach Tim Wheaton said. "It's a matter of finishing them. When you're not scoring you have a tendency to try to do too much. We just have to keep practicing and developing the right attitude.

If offense has been a weak area for the Crimson, defense has been its strength, despite injuries to stopper Tory Fair and Co-Captain Jen Gifford. Fair is not at full strength but plans to play in today's contest. Gifford will miss another week with strained knee ligaments. To bolster the defense. Amy Weinstein has moved from midfield to Gifford's left fullback position.

Brown's front line has been hurt by the loss of 1988 Ivy scoring leader Theresa Hirschauer to graduation. but its defense has picked up the slack this year.

"They're very tenacious," Wheaton said. "But we're better one-on-one, so we'll try to take advantage of that. I'm very confident. This is the best Harvard team we've had in a long time."

Brown has beaten both William & Mary and Holy Cross, but Harvard believes the Bruins can be beaten. Johnston will be a key factor in today's matchup. The sophomore striker showed her ability to score in bunches early in the season but could not find the net last weekend when she was battling the flu.

"I think we've got all the jitters out," Johnston said. "This Friday we'll put it all together--competitiveness, consistency and intensity."

Sweeper Andrea Montalbano and netminder Reilly will anchor the defense today. Reilly has excelled between the posts this season, saving 91 percent of opponents shots.

"Andie and I expect to give up one goal, max," Reilly said. "It's tough to play perfect soccer for 90 minutes but if we can score one or two goals, I think we can hold them."