College To Reduce Shuttle Service

Will End Weekend Afternoon Routes

By Seth S. Harkness

Citing budget cutbacks, the College next week will end shuttle bus service to the Radcliffe Quadrangle on weekend afternoons.

The move, part of an effort to cut the Faculty of Arts Sciences' budget for this year by up to 6 percent to cover a financial shortfall, will save $200 a week.

Students who have come to rely on the recently expanded service between 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekends will be hoofing their way across campus after November 4, the last day the College plans to offer the service.

The manager of the shuttle system, Edward P. Casey, said that he received a letter yesterday from Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 that details the shuttle cutbacks.

Casey said he did not anticipate any other cutbacks in shuttle service, adding that the reduction in runs will not bring about a decrease in the number of shuttle bus drivers.

The move has already drawn criticism from Undergraduate Council member David A. Aronberg '93, who said that the afternoon routes on weekends were an important service to students.

"This is just a callous way of cutting from the budget," he said. "Especially in the winter I think it is important to keep it."

Aronberg said he has applied for funds from the council to print flyers urging people to call the shuttle complaint service to protest the cutbacks.

Casey said that about 130 people took advantage of the shuttle service on weekend afternoons, about half as many riders as on weekday afternoons.

The College extended the weekend service last year on an experimental basis with partial funding from the Undergraduate Council. This fall, the weekend runs became part of normal, College-funded service.