Weekend Crime Wave

Two Harvard Students Arrested in Square

Cambridge police arrested two College students in Harvard Square early yesterday morning, according to police records.

The students, David W. Lapointe '92 of and Matthew A. Mcclain '93, were arrested by Officer Rudy Walcott outside the Photo Hour store at 1390 Mass. Ave. at about 12:35 a.m. yesterday.

"The only thing I'm going to say is there was no violence whatsoever," Lapointe said in a telephone interview. "It was just a misunderstanding, being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Mcclain could not be reached for comment last night.

Homeless Woman Falls Victim of Attack

A homeless woman was rushed to the hospital Friday night after an unidentified man hit her over the head with a bottle, according to Cambridge police reports.

According to witnesses, the woman, Margaret Marshall, had been sitting with several other homeless people on the corner of Church St. and Mass. Ave. when two men approached the group. One of the men started a fight by throwing a can at her, witnesses said.

Amidst the scuffle the man grabbed a bottle and hit Marshall in the head, said eyewitness Cheryl Merrill.

"She got hit, then the other one pushed her down," Merrill said.

After the fight, the two men ran in the direction of the Cambridge Common, leaving Marshall unconscious and bleeding, onlookers said.

Boston Man Mugged For Twelve Dollars

Steven Wieber, a Boston resident, was help up at knife point 12:55 Sunday morning by two men at Kirkland and Irving Streets, according to the Cambridge police log.

One of the men held a knife to Wieber's chin while the other asked for his wallet, the journal said. There was no indication of any arrests as a result of the incident.

Twelve dollars was taken from the wallet, which was later recovered by the Somerville Police Department, police said.