Year In Review 1989-1990

May

. The Navy reversed its request that two former ROTC cadets who are gay, including David E. Carney '89, return their scholarship money.

The Association of American Universities wrote a letter to the military expressing concern over its anti-gay policy, adding its voice to the many condemnations of the policy, including that of the Harvard and MIT faculties.

. A jury convicted suspended Law School student Kevin T. Watkins of the rape of a Harvard undergraduate in December, 1988.

. The Harvard women's lacrosse team beat the Maryland Terrapins, 15-0, to win the NCAA championship.

. Cambridge City Manager Robert W. Healy appointed veterinarian Stuart E. Wiles commissioner of laboratory animals--the first post of its kind in the nation.

. The Cambridge City Council unanimously passes three environmental ordinances to limit environmentally unsafe packaging, protect the ozone layer, and restrict motor oil disposal.

. Marking a significant gain in its efforts to bolster depleting ranks, the English Department announced that three scholars--two outside and one at Harvard--accepted tenure offers. Daniel G. Donoghue was the first English scholar to receive tenure in eight years.

. President Bok announced he will step down in June, 1991. His departure, in addition to Spence's resignation, will leave Harvard's two top posts empty and will delay the University-wide fund drive, administrators say.

. Jack R. Meyer was named the new president of the Harvard Management Corporation, which oversees the University's more than $5 billion endowment.