Schluntz to Take Helm Of Frosh Football Team

High School Coach Eagerly Awaits Job

By Jonathan M. Berlin

Hoping to bring the success he demonstrated on the high school football field to the college gridiron, the University recently appointed longtime coach Edward Schluntz to take the helm of Harvard's freshman team.

Schluntz, a head football coach and athletic director at nearby Brookline High School for more than 20 years, filled the vacancy created this spring when former coach Donald J. Allard, Jr., gave up his post.

Although Schluntz comes from from a non-collegiate background and has not actually coached since 1982, Harvard coaches said yesterday that they expected him to make a smooth transition into the new position, and that they looked forward to working with the highly respected coach.

"We're just delighted to have him here," said assistant coach George A. Clemens, Jr. "He comes from a lot of experience."

Schluntz, who described himself as "a football nut," said he was equally as excited about his new venture into college coaching.

"I'm looking forward to it a great deal," he said. "[Coaching] has always been a first love. I'm very anxious to get back into it again."

Although he has never been a college head coach, Schluntz said did not think taking the new job would require major adjustments. He added that much of his off-field contact with thecollege game--especially his several years on theNCAA rules committee--have helped to prepare himfor his new position.

"It still comes down to blocking and tackling,"Schluntz said.

Schluntz said he is not an expert at the"multi-flex" system of offense employed by HeadCoach Joe Restic, but that he promises to be aquick learner.

"I went over last week and picked up two thicknotebooks," the eager new coach said.

Indeed, part of what the new coach saidcharacterized his overall style was work ethic,both on and off the field. "I think thatorganization and preparation are extremelyimportant," he said. "For every hour you spend onthe field, you have to spend 10 or 15 off it."

And while Schluntz acknowledged that his newposition was a step up from his high schooltenure, he said his acceptance did not signal anattempt to climb up the ranks of the college game.

"It's too late for that. I'm not looking to bea head coach in college," he said.

"I see my position as one to introduce studentsto college football, and to the system CoachRestic uses," Schluntz continued. "I just wantthem to come through the season with an excellentattitude.