At Harvard

Listings for the Week of October 17 to 23

Thursday

Theater

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof--by Tennessee Williams. Classic Southern drama of a family experiencing love, death, greed, homosexuality and alcohol. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize. In the Lowell House junior common room at 8 p.m. Admission is $4.

The Lion in Winter--by Jeff Goldman. December, 1156. The royal family meets to celebrate Christmas and engages in a battle of cutting wit, unscrupulous deceit and shameless manipulation as they fight for control, vengeance and the English throne. In the Loeb Experimental Theater at 7:30 p.m.

The Pirates of Penzance--by Arthur Sullivan and W.S. Gilbert. With its outstanding music and uproarious plot, Pirates is one of Gilbert and Sullivan's most popular operettas. In the Agassiz Theater at 8 p.m. Admission for evening performances is $9, $7 for students; for matinees $7, $5 for students.

The Woods--by David Mamet. This is the lyrical and intimate story of a young couple's discovery of themselves and their relationship ovr the course of a weekend in an isolated cabin in the woods. You'll laugh, you'll cry. In the Leverett House Old Library Theater at 8 p.m. Admission is $4, $3 for students.

Film

Harvard Film Archive--La Belle Noiseuse directed by Jacques Rivette, France, at 7 p.m.

Lectures

German-Soviet Military Cooperation in the 1920s and 1930s--with Aleksandr Nekrich, Russian Research Center senior fellow. In Coolidge Hall, room 4, at noon.

New Press Freedom in Africa: Challenges and Opportunites--with Erica Chinje of Cameroon National Television; Isaac Bantu of BBC Africa Service, Liberia; and Charles Onyango-Obbo of Weekly Topic, Uganda. In Coolidge Hall, room 2, at 12:30 p.m.

Growth, Change or Conservation? Buddhist Ecological Action in Thailand--with Susan Darlington of the Hampshire College School of Social Science. In Coolidge Hall, room 1, at 4 p.m.

The Italian Discovery of America During World War I--with Daniela Rossini, Deptartimento Studi Americani, Universita degli Studi di Roma. In Boylston Hall at 4 p.m.

New Approaches to Quantifying Morbidity: The Experience of the WHO Tropical Disease Research Program--with Burton Singer of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at Yale University. At the Center for Population and Development Studies, 9 Bow St., at 4:30 p.m.

Toward a New Ethics and International Law of Intervention--with Dillon Professor of the Civilization of France Stanley Hoffman. In Land Auditorium, fourth floor Belfer Hall, Kennedy School of Government, at 4:30 p.m.

Poets Respond to AIDS--with poets Walta Borawski, David Eberly, Roy Gonsalves, Marie Howe and Michael Klein. In Boylston Hall at 7:30 p.m.

The Future of Hong Kong--with Professor of Chinese Anthropology James Watson, Professor of Chinese Sociology Andrew Walter, Mason Fellow Arthur Ng, and TVB Pearl former newscaster Mabel Chan. In the Hong Kong Club, 2 Divinity Ave., room 18, at 8 p.m.

Friday

Theater

The Lion in Winter--by Jeff Goldman. In the Loeb Experimental Theater at 7:30 and 10 p.m.

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof--by Tennessee Williams. In the Lowell House junior common room at 8 p.m. Admission is $4.

The Pirates of Penzance--by Arthur Sullivan and W.S. Gilbert. In the Agassiz Theater at 8 p.m. Admission for evening performances is $9, $7 for students; for matinees $7, $5 for students.

The Woods--by David Mamet. In the Leverett House Old Library Theater at 8 p.m. Admission is $4, $3 for students.

Film

Harvard Film Archive--Animation Studio GDS 1972-1991 Program #1 16 films, various directors, at 5:30 p.m. La Belle Noiseuse directed by Jacques Rivette, France, at 7 p.m.

Green Card--at 8 and 10 p.m. in the Quincy House dining hall. Admission is $3.

Music

1991 Christmas Revels--is presented by Revels, Inc., a non-profit arts organization founded to promote public education and appreciation of traditional music, dance, drama and poetry. The Revels will feature a local Revels Chorus, the Cambridge Symphonic Brass and the internationally acclaimed Sephardic music group Voice of the Turtle. In Sanders Theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets are $24, $26, $10 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 931-2000.

Lectures

Professor Angela Davis Speaks About Her Recent Visit to South Africa--at the Arco Forum of the Kennedy School of Government at 6 p.m.

Prostitution Unbound--Representations of Political and Sexual Anxieties in Soviet Russia in the 1920s--with Russian Research Center Fellow Elizabeth Wood, a history professor at MIT. In Coolidge Hall, room 1, at noon.

America's Fourth Coast: Urban Landscapes of the Mississippi River Valley--with Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture Elizabeth Meyer. In Piper Auditorium, Gund Hall, at 12:30 p.m.

From Foragers to Citizens: The Changing Life of the Kalahari Bushmen--a panel discussion with Alison Brooks, John Marshall, Lorna Marshall and moderator Irven DeVore. In the Peabody Museum Geological Lecture Hall at 2:30 p.m.

Honganji Buddhism and the Hidden Roots of Japanese Modernization--with Galen Amstutz, a postdoctoral fellow at Reischauer Institute. In Coolige Hall, room 2, at 4 p.m.

The India Trade--with Andre Wink, professor of history at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. In Robinson Hall, room-105, at 4:15 p.m.

Saturday

Theater

The Lion in Winter--by Jeff Goldman. In the Loeb Experimental Theater at 7:30 p.m.

The Pirates of Penzance--by Arthur Sullivan and W.S. Gilbert. In the Agassiz Theater at 8 and 2 p.m. Admission for evening performances is $9, $7 for students; for matinees $7, $5 for students.

Film

Harvard Film Archive--Swiss Animation 1980-1987 Program #2 13 films, various directors, at 5:30 p.m. La Belle Noiseuse directed by Jacques Rivette, France, at 7 p.m.

Music

The Bach Society Orchestra--presents its second concert of the season with Stravinsky's Suite No. 1 for Small Orchestra, Prokofieff's Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67 (1936) and Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5 in A Major, K.V. 219. In Paine Hall at 8 p.m. Tickets are $6, $5 for students, with a $1 discount when purchased in advance, and are available in the Holyoke Center Ticket Office (495-2663).

1991 Christmas Revels--is presented by Revels, Inc., a non-profit arts organization founded to promote public education and appreciation of traditional music, dance, drama and poetry. The Revels will feature a local Revels Chorus, the Cambridge Symphonic Brass and the internationally acclaimed Sephardic music group Voice of the Turtle. In Sanders Theatre at 3 and 8 p.m. Tickets are $24, $26, $10 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 931-2000.

Sunday

Film

Harvard Film Archive--Swiss Animation 1988-1991 Program #3 13 films, various directors, at 2 p.m. La Belle Noiseuse directed by Jacques Rivette, France, at 3:30 p.m. The Eye Above the Well directed by Johan van der Keuken, Netherlands, at 8 p.m.

Music

1991 Christmas Revels--In Sanders Theatre at 2 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $24, $26, $10 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 931-2000.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Conductors' Orchestra--performs Rossini's Overture to L'Italiana in Algeri and Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5 in A Major. In Paine Hall at 8 p.m. Admission is free.

Lectures

Going to Jerusalem: Pilgrims and Travelers in the Middle Ages--with Naomi Miller of the Department of Art History at Boston University. In Sperry Hall at 4 p.m. Admission is $6. For reservations call 495-3123.

Monday

Film

Harvard Film Archive--The Tourist directed by Robb Moss, USA, at 5 p.m. Pictures From a Revolution directed by Susan Meiselas, Richard Rogers and Alfred Guzzetti, USA, at 6:10 p.m. The Entertainer directed by Tony Richardson, Great Britain, at 8 p.m.

Lectures

A Pragmatic Approach to the Division of Powers in a Renewed Canada with Parallels to European Experience--with Sylvia Ostry, chair of the Centre for International Studies at the University of Toronto. In Coolidge Hall, room 3, at 4 p.m.

Tuesday

Film

Harvard Film Archive--Making "Do the Right Thing" directed by St. Claire Bourne, USA, with American Shoeshine directed by Sparky Green, USA, at 5:30 p.m. Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott, Great Britain, at 7 p.m. The Lady Eye directed by Preston Sturges, USA, at 8 p.m.

Music

The Beaux Arts Trio--with pianist Menahem Pressler, violinist Isidore Cohen and cellist Peter Wiley perform Mozart's Trio in E Major, K. 542. Zemlinsky's Trio in D Minor, Opus 3 and Schubert's Trio in E-flat Major, Opus 100. The concert is sponsored by the Winthrop House Music Society. In Sanders Theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20, $19, $17, $15, and $8 for students and elders, and are available by calling 495-1700.

Lectures

Lithuanian Landscapes: Glimpses of a Struggling Nation--with Ed.D. candidate Carol Sperry. In Read House at the Graduate School of Education at noon.

The Spread of Tibetan Buddhism to Mongolia, Siberia and Central Asia--a Buddhist Studies Forum with Alex Berzin. In Coolidge Hall, room 1, at 4:15 p.m.

Wednesday

Film

Harvard Film Archive--Palombella Rossa directed by Nanni Moreti, Italy, at 5:30 p.m.

Music

The Boston Camerata--presents "A Medieval Christmas," music and song from England, France, Italy and Germany. In Sanders Theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10, $15 and $18, and are available by calling 262-2092.

Lectures

Can Yeltsin Rule Russia?--with Mark Zlotnik of the CIA. In Coolidge Hall, room 4, at noon.

The Civil War Historian--with Stephen Oates, professor of history with the University of Masschusetts at Amherst. Cambridge Forum, 3 Church St., at 8 p.m.