Residents Are Unaware Of Rudenstine Events

By Sara M. Mulholland

Who is Neil L. Rudenstine?

To those who know that Harvard University will formally install its new president today, the answer is simple.

But for many people interviewed in the Square yesterday, the name Neil L. Rudenstine was greeted with blank stares.

Although Rudenstine, affectionately known as "Rudy," is a familiar name to most Harvard students, he is virtually unknown among Square merchants.

"Who, is he--a Souper Salad guy?" asked a cashier at the eatery in The Garage, referring to restaurant in that mall.

And when asked the question of the day, "Have you ever heard of Neil Rudenstine?" Toyin O. Adesanya of Store 24 replied, "Well, I have now."

The Tourists Know

Fortunately, Rudenstine enjoys greater popularity within the gates of the Yard.

"Yeah, he's the new president," said Mary Johnson, a California tourist vacationing with her husband.

"Remember honey?" she said, slapping her husband on the belly, "They told us about him at the information office."

And Venk M. Reddy '95 said with a laugh, "Isn't he the one who takes all our money?"

For the most part, however, those surveyed yesterday knew not a word about Rudenstine or today's big event, despite media coverage and a big crimson banner outside the Coop which congratulates the new president.

'The Head,' of Course

Perhaps one reason why the question, "What's the big event tomorrow?" was not answered, "Rudenstine's inauguration, of course," was another activity that happens to be scheduled around the same time.

Eric G. Pennucci, who works in the J. August shirt shop, when asked what the big event is, replied, "The Head of the Charles."

In Baskin Robbins, Au Bon Pain, the Hong Kong and Emack & Bolio's ice-cream sh opRudenstine is a complete stranger.

Of all the Square's restaurants and shops, in fact, only Chung W. Chau of Chef Chow's could identify the new president.

"Yes, he is a patron of ours," Chau said.