Hirsh: Leaping Tall Buildings in Single Bounds

J.V. Sports

By Jay K. Varma

Running.

Passing.

Blocking.

You name it, the Crimson backs did it on Saturday, marching Harvard right through Princeton with uncommon ease.

Just ask Princeton Coach Steve Tosches, who, after the game, looked about as happy as death.

"There's no doubt about it. We got beat," a somber Tosches said. "They ran the football. They established themselves on the ground."

They sure did. Harvard racked up 200 yards on the ground on 55 attempts. While those are solid numbers, they certainly aren't earth-shattering. Rather, what was significant about those yards was the timing.

On key plays throughout the game, the Crimson backs came up huge, securing first-downs (23 for Harvard, a meager 11 for Princeton) and eating time off the clock. And give the backs credit for the Crimson's impressive nine-for-17 third-down conversion rate.

Unstoppable

To anyone watching the game, one back in particular stood above the rest--indeed leaped above the rest. Junior halfback Robb Hirsch powered his way for 99 yards rushing and 53 yards receiving, easily the best performance by a Crimson rusher this year.

But that doesn't even begin to tell the story.

Hirsch dazzled the crowd (and his fellow gridders) with his sheer power and determination, an intensity and ferocity that kept the Crimson offense in high gear throughout the game.

Though he carried the ball 18 times, Hirsch ran each play as if it was his first.

"I was loving it," he said. "I really enjoy it."

Though neither a speedster nor a graceful runner, the Lowell junior is gifted in one respect: he refuses to give up an inch, literally. He did not lose a single yard all day.

Play after play, Hirsch would rush through the Tigers line and, with defenders draped on him, leap forward to gain extra ground. On the Crimson's touchdown drive during the second quarter, the Tigers could not stop Hirsch.

On third down and seven with the ball on the Princeton 46, Mike Giardi dished to Hirsch on the left side. The burly back charged forward, but lost his balance at the line of scrimmage. Picking himself up, Hirsch leaped ahead over a Princeton lineman before finally being knocked down by free safety Marvin Williamson.

All day long, Coach Joe Restic looked to Hirsch for important yardage. And, whether it was third-and-long or deep in the Harvard end, Hirsch delivered.

"I felt like there were some nice holes," Hirsch said. "I felt very aware, felt like my vision was good. I really felt like I could break it out in the open."

Restic, for one, could not have been more happy about Hirsch's performance.

"Robb Hirsch stood out today," an exuberant Restic said after the game. "He did an outstanding job. Those were critical plays when we needed the yards. He gave us the tough yardage."

Versatile Weapon

Indeed, one of the reasons the Crimson did so well today was because Restic placed his faith in Hirsch. And with good reason.

All season long (most notably against Fordham), Hirsch has demonstrated that he is a versatile offensive weapon. He can rush along the sideline and barrel through opposing lines. On the next down, he can slide into the flat and grab a ball with skill and poise.

In fact, Hirsch may be most talented as a receiver. He leads the Crimson in receptions and, with 26 so far, is on pace for a record year.

One play, in particular, remains unbelievable. With the ball on the Harvard 19, Giardi tossed the ball to Hirsch who was breaking right across the middle. The junior dove forward, extended his left arm to the ball, and pulled it in before crashing to the ground.

"I don't know how he caught that ball," Restic said. "That was a key play for us."

Key plays. That's what Hirsch gave the Crimson today: the yardage, the blocking, the competitive fire.

Hirsch, quite understandably, was ecstatic after the game.

"I can't tell you how good it feels. It feels good. Real good."