Dining Workers Cite Complaints

Petitions Due to Be Presented to Berry

By Michele F. Forman

Harvard Dining Services (HDS) workers and students have compiled a list of grievances to accompany a petition intended for HDS Director Michael P. Berry, the workers and students said yesterday.

Berry, who has made sweeping changes in the menu and management style at HDS, is catching flak from union employees who are complaining of added responsibilities which force shorter breaks, skipped meals and fewer days off.

The workers' petitions were distributed one month ago but have yet to be picked up and delivered to Berry.

"I haven't received any petitions yet," Berry said. "We realized we would be working harder this year, and if the problems require remedying we will have to do something."

Berry said he expected that it will take HDS employees a while to adjust to his new management and said he sees a "leveling off" of extra work throughout the dining halls.

"Back in August, I set up three committees where we can discuss workload issues," he said. "Anyone can sit on it. I don't care how many, as long as I get input."

But many workers said that the offers of openness are not enough.

"We are dealing with work overload that is forcing people to work into their breaks," said Edward B. Childs, chief co-steward of HDS. "It's not just more work, but cut-backs in labor."

Childs said the petitions have been signed by the vast majority of the staff, but added that the lists of signatures will not cross Berry's desk until the union assesses the needs of all the workers--from name-checkers to dishwashers.

"We've heard from the management that certain things that will cutback on the workload will be instituted," said Childs. "But we aren't satisfied."

Some of the grumblings center around an early retirement plan Berry implemented this year that is designed to streamline the department. Seven employees have opted to retire early under the plan, which calls for one replacement for every two vacancies the plan creates.

"Some houses are doubling up on cleaning," Childs said. "It's not across the board, but some cutbacks have been made."

But Berry said he was cutting back on positions in order make the dining halls operate more efficently.

Berry said a recent study by the National Association of College and Universities shows Harvard spends a higher proportion of its budget on wages than any other university in the country.

The extra money HDS spends on salaries it cannot spend on food, Berry said. And the study shows that Harvard spends approximately $1.52 per meal, far below the national average of $1.80, he added.

Supportive Students

Students in Winthrop, Lowell and Quincy Houses supported the dining hall workers by sending in their own petitions, which include the names of several hundred undergraduates.

Berry wrote a letter to the students yesterday which assured them that the terms of the workers' contracts are being honored.

"There is no doubt but that this year's program is more difficult than last year's. However, this department is committed to providing Harvard students with a quality food service program," Berry's letter reads. "This objective is not inconsistent with the fair and eqitable treatment of our staff. Employees have been instructed to take all their breaks, and have been paid overtime for all extra work performed."

In addition, the Undergraduate Council's residential committee is preparing a list of their own suggestions for Berry.

"We're sending a letter to Michael Berry to congratulate him and to ask him to a meeting where we would like to make a few minor recommendations," said David L. Duncan '93, the committee's co-chair.

On November 3, a draft of the letter will be voted on by the full council. Berry will be invited to attend a council meeting, when he will be asked about variable meal plans, extended meal hours and working conditions