Center to Study European Law

Law School Aims to Establish Leading Institution in Field

By Sean L. Presant

The Law School has announced it will establish a center to study European law and legal issues, said Professor of Law David W. Kennedy, who will be the center's director.

"The hope is to become the premiere institution in North America to study European law," Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he hopes the center will increase support for faculty research in European law, expand the Law School's library holdings in international legal studies and increase the amount of regular interaction between American and European scholars and lawyers.

According to Kennedy, the center will eventually endow two new chairs in European law, one in European Community law and the other in European comparative law.

Still Raising Funds

The Law School is still raising money for the center,Kennedy said. Citing ongoing negotiations, he would not say how much money the center needs.

Kennedy said that although the first year will be devoted primarily to planning, the center will run an intensive training program on European law for practicing lawyers in November, March, April and July.

And although the center represents a new commitment to international studies, the Law School has actually been working in Brussels with the European Community for the past 10 years, Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he hopes the Law School will continue its dedication to world affairs with the rebuilding of the East Asian Legal Studies Department and a possible center for the study of Islamic law.

"With changes in both the European Community and Eastern Europe, we can't ignore what's been an important partner in intellectual and legal affairs," Kennedy said.