M. Booters' OT Woes Continue

Hartwick Foils Crimson, 3-2, After Harvard Ties Game With Minute Left

By Ted G. Rose

It is possible for a sports team to have a complex about overtime, the men's soccer team might just have one.

The Hartwick Warriors (7-4) edged the Crimson (3-5-0, 0-2-0 Ivy), 3-2, in overtime Saturday at Ohiri Field, handing the team its third overtime defeat in four games.

Just one minute into the second overtime session, Hartwick forward Shawn Cassella lifted a ball from 40 feet out over the outsretched arms of Harvard goalie Jamie Reilly to break the 2-2 tie.

Not only did Cassella's goal stun most of the players on the field, but it knocked the wind out of a Harvard team which had rallied to tie the game in the closing minutes of regulation.

"We're not playing poorly," Harvard Coach Mike Getman said. "We just don't seem to be getting the breaks. Twenty-five of the 30 minutes of the overtime were ours, they just got the lucky break."

Getman's team will have to start getting some breaks soon if it hopes to remain competitive in the Ivy League. After next Wednesday's matchup at home against Boston University, Harvard faces four Ivy opponents.

"It's not a matter of fitness," said Getman. "We just have to capitalize on all of our chances."

"This was a typical game for us," Hartwick Coach Jim Lennox said. "We always seem to give away goals in the first and last minutes of our games. Harvard is always a fun team to play."

It was Harvard that got off to a fast start against the Warriors when forward Pepper Brill scored on the team's first possesion of the game.

With only a minute elapsed, Jason Luzak stole the ball from Hartwick at midfield and streaked down the right side of the field. Luzak then sent the ball into the box and Brill got free for the header and the 1-0 lead.

The Crimson had to settle for the 1-0 halftime lead after failing to capitalize on some good scoring opportunities. In fact, Getman felt it was the first half that actually cost his team the game.

"We had our chances in the first 30 minutes and we did not put [Hartwick] away. You just can't do that with a good team," Getman said.

Harvard could not put the Warriors away and Hartwick rallied with two goals in the second half to grab a 2-1 advantage. Warriors midfielder Paul Conway headed in a ball just past Reilly to knot the score at 1-1.

Just over ten minutes later Hartwick broke the tie when midfielder Mike Smith, off a pass from Cassella, knocked the ball into the lower right corner of the twines for a 2-1 advantage.

The Crimson managed to tie the game in a last attack with only one minute left in the game. Harvard had an indirect kick from the left side of the goal and, after almost twenty seconds of head shots, deflections and kicks, Harvard emerged with a goal when sophomore Josh Morris headed one into the net.