Harvard's Cushy Jobs

By Elie G. Kaunfer

Big bucks. Low stress. Time to do homework. All these and more, when you sign up for one of...

Going to Harvard doesn't always mean working hard.

Much to their delight, many lucky students at the College have alreaddiscovered this. Whether at the basement of the Union, the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center (QRAC), or the Currier House bell's desk, Harvard offers an abundance of low-stress, high-paying jobs for students.

These sinecures aren't always that easy to come by. But once hired, few students want to give the jobs up.

One satisfied employee is Bliss M. Dake '94, who works in the game room in the basement of the Union.

Dake's duties include the strenuous activities of letting people into the practice rooms, renting out pool cues and making change for video games. Out of a three-hour shift, Dake says, he actually workonly s 45 minutes. Not bad, considering he makes $6 an hour.

"There's not a lot of activity during my shift," Dake says. "I am able to get a lot done. I wanted a job where I can study and work at the same time."

Above Dake, Joseph G. Vavpetic '92 is employed in the Union Snack Store, a position which rivals Dake's for its dangerously high stress levels.

Describing his work, Vavpetic says, "I can't believe I get paid for this job. I open the doors, sit down, pull a magazine off the rack and start reading."

How much time does Vavpetic put into each two-hour shift? "Five minutes...change that to seven minutes, the cash register is on the fritz," he says.

Despite his inactivity, Vavpetic maintains that he enjoys his job.

"It's interesting to watch the freshmen in line and to see what kind of people are coming to Harvard," he says.

Cushy jobs are not limited to the Union. The job of Deborah Pan '93, who works at the Currier House bell's desk, includes such highbrow tasks as giving wake-up calls and guarding the entrance to the 10-man room on party nights.

"I work about a half-hour out of my two hour shift, depending on what time it is," Pan says, adding that the job gives her an opportunity to meet many people in the house.

Before you send resumes out for these jobs, there's another one which might be even a little better. Marlene H. Kandall '93, the Saturday desk attendant at the QRAC, claims "I don't really have a job."

"I can't imagine doing less work," Kandall says. "I don't think people know the QRAC exists. It's the sweetest job ever."

Does Kandall ever get any work done?

"I read a 400-page book during my last shift," she boasts.

Even for these fortunate members of the Harvard work force, there can be a few stressful moments.

"Last week they were washing dishes above the video game center," Dake says. "When I was leaving I saw water gushing through the ceiling to the floor. Water was everywhere."

Pan, the bell's desk attendant, concurs that her job has its share of anxiety-ridden moments.

"During fire drills, 300 people jam into the lobby," she says. "We have to keep the entrances clear and get them to go outside. We also help the tutor organize the students."

But these pitfalls are the exception rather than the rule. All things considered, if you're searching for a big paycheck and a lot of free time, it should be hard to find a sweeter deal.