The Crimson Should Have Run Our Letter

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing to protest the decision by The Crimson's editorial board not to publish a letter expressing opposition to the war in the Middle East that was signed by 40 Harvard affiliates and submitted to the newspaper on February 11. Citing "editorial policy," the editors refused to print the letter with more than four names attached. The 40 signatures, representing a cross-section of undergraduates, graduate students, faculty and staff in psychology and the social sciences, provide an illustration of the breadth of dissent within the Harvard community. If they are not included, the impact of the letter is considerably weakened.

Given the consistent downplaying by the mainstream media of the extent of antiwar protest, and the growing hostility and intimidation (including even death threats) directed against those who participate in such activities, I believe it is imperative for dissenters to speak out, both collectively and as individuals. To me, at least, the letter in question offered an opportunity of this kind. It was in no way a "petition," as I understand one editor implied. I fear that The Crimson's rejection of the letter reflects not an objectively formulated, consistently applied editorial policy, but rather its own pro-war bias. Nita Sembrowich   Staff Member   Department of Psychology