Ramos Sings Blues

Basketball Notebook

By Peter I. Rosenthal

Last Friday night at the Harvard women's basketball team's game against Yale, announcer Dan Ramos belted out the not-so-melodious notes of the "Star Spangled Banner" with the accompaniment of the band. One of the largest crowds to visit Briggs Cage this season responded with a resounding applause.

Some, however, were...well, lets just say less than pleased with Ramos' Roseanne Barresque rendition.

At half time, Assistant Athletic Director and men's lacrosse Coach Scott Anderson asked Ramos to leave the game. Later in the evening, news of the incident reached Athletic Director Bill Cleary.

Some felt that the timing of Ramos' performance--which coincided with the seniors final home weekend of their careers, and more importantly, the Middle East--was in poor taste, and Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith expressed her disappointment with Ramos' actions.

Ramos responded by writing letters of apology to Delaney Smith and the Yale coach in which he expressed his regrets and indicated that he acted on his own behalf and without the consent of the Harvard athletic program.

Yesterday morning, Ramos met with Assistant Athletic Director Bob Malacof and resolved the situation.

"I intended to sing it well," Ramos said. "I believe its true that if people didn't know what my intentions were that they would be upset. I'm sorry now. The one thing I hold most dear is personal relationships. It's too bad my career had to end like this."

Back To Business

Prior to the start of the season, people speculated that the Crimson might got a bid to the NCAA tournament. After a shaky start, however, that talk ended as it became clear that Harvard would have to concentrate first on capturing the Ivy crown--which it was unanimously picked to win a pre-season poll.

With the opportunity to grab that title this Friday in Princeton, N.J., thoughts of a bid may pop up once again. But Delaney Smith does not anticipate a bid, despite her confidence in the Crimson squad.

"There is, of course, a chance, but I doubt it," Delaney Smith said. "We had done very well against some top-20 teams and some of their coaches would recommend us for an at-large bid. But we lost to some teams that are weak. Dartmouth did not go to the tournament with three losses last year, and we have seven."

Well, an Ivy League title wouldn't be so bad.