Business, Med Schools No. 1

U.S. News and World Report Releases Graduate School Survey

First, U.S. News and World Report ranked Harvard College number one in the nation in its annual survey of four-year undergraduate institutions.

Now, two Harvard graduate schools have achieved similar distinctions--the Business and Medical Schools have been rated at the top of their respective fields in the magazine's annual survey of graduate schools, which was released this week.

Yale Law School, however, edged out Harvard for its second year in the number one spot for law schools. And the graduate school of engineering was ranked twenty-second, far behind its first-place counterpart at MIT.

After Harvard Medical School, Johns Hopkins came in second. Yale Medical School placed fifth.

Stanford followed MIT in the rankings for engineering schools, with the University of Illinois at Urbana third.

The schools were ranked using two surveys of school officials nationwide, as well as statistical data that measure specific attributes of postgraduate education--such as student selectivity, faculty resources and research activity.

Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark said in an interview yesterday that his school's number two ranking was not an accurate portrayal of its strengths.

"I think a survey of this sort has to be taken with a heavy dose of salt," Clark said.

"There are a lot of things that don't get measured," such as Harvard's rich curriculum, large law library and strong international law program, he said.

"In my opinion, we are number one," Clark said. He added that he agrees with the five sets of employers, judges and lawyers surveyed, who ranked Harvard number one in their choices of law schools.

Business School spokesperson James E. Aisner '68 said of the