Radcliffe Child Care To Move to DeWolfe St.

By Beong-soo Kim

A Radcliffe child care program that watches over more than 50 University-affiliated infants and toddlers will take up residence in the newly-completed DeWolfe St. complex in January, the center's director said.

Center Director Joan Halpern said that the move was prompted by the expanding size of The Radcliffe Child Care Centers and by the availability of the new facilities at DeWolfe St. The program currently uses space in both the Radcliffe Yard and the Radcliffe Quadrangle.

"We are sad to leave our cozy home at Putnam House," Halpern said in a written statement, "but we believe that the new space, which has been specially designed for children, will be better able to meet their needs."

The center's DeWolfe St. location will boast kitchen and child-size bathrooms, and Halpern said its facilities might also be expanded for infant care.

Although the original plans for the DeWolfe St. complex included a day care center, Halpern said the official decision to move the Radcliffe program there was made only last month. She said that rent payments for the new space will be subsidized by Radcliffe College.

Radcliffe's child care program is the third largest of the University's six day care programs.