Recession Claims Century-Old Shop

By Michael K. Mayo, Crimson Staff Writer

J.F. Olsson's, one of Harvard Square's oldest stores, will close its doors for the last time today.

Teary-eyed customers strolled through the gift shop yesterday, glancing at merchandise, reminiscing about the store's century-long history and talking about the dramatic changes that have occurred in the Square.

"It's like a wake," said Manager Ellen Walsh, who will lock up the store at 2 p.m. today. "People are sending flowers, making phone calls. They're really mourning."

Olsson's, one of Harvard Square's oldest small businesses, has been a fixture on Brattle Street for 107 years. The owner decided to close the store because family responsibilities prevented her from spending the time necessary to guide the business through tough economic times, Walsh said.

"Our customers are still great, but they're not buying like they used to," Walsh said.

The Store, located next to Sage's Markets at Brattle and Church Streets, is the second Harvard Square shop to announce its closing this week. The managers of Cambridge Booksmith said their business has folded for financial reasons as well.

The closing of Olsson's, a store which survived the depression of the 1930s, is symptomatic of recent economic trends in the Square--wealthy chain stores have replaced smaller shops that cannot pay rising rents.

Customers noted yesterday that while the Square's look has changed rapidly in recent years, Olsson's had kept its old-fashioned, five-and-dime store look. The store still displays its merchandise on old bureaus and hutches resting on bare hardwood floors.

Stephanie Henry of Allston said the store looks the same as it did twenty years ago.

"It's disgusting what's happened to the Square," Henry said. "It looks like a mall now. You can go anywhere in town and get the same things."

One costomer, outraged at the closing, began to shout that "junk stores" were opening up all over the Square.

"What happened to the Square?" she asked. Other customers nodded in agreement.

Nothing the sign in the window marking Olsson's clearance sale, Henry said it was "just one more sign" of a worsening crisis for small businesses in the Square.

Olsson's employees lamented the same developments. "You can interact with the customers here because we're a small business," said Toma Kenstowicz, a store employee. "The customers don't just bring the things to the register. They ask you to help them."

Many customers, some in their 60s, have beenshopping there since they were Harvardundergraduates, according to store manager Walsh.

Governor William F. Weld '66 still makes hisannual Christmas Eve pilgrimage to the store tobuy toys for his children, she said. She laughedand added that one employee yells at him everyyear for coming in at the last minute.

Walsh also retold the story of a 70-year-oldwoman whom she met in St. Louis. The woman toldWalsh that she used to walk down to Olsson's fromRadcliffe "When school got too tough. She said shewould walk through the store, soaking up theatmosphere."

No one knows how long Olsson's former spacewill remain empty. Walsh says Sage's, which is thelandlord for the property, has received a numberof requests from businesses wanting to move in.

Walsh notes that none of them, however, arechain stores.CrimsonDaniel H. SchumannJ.F. Olsson's on Brattle Street in HarvardSquare closes after more than a century of serviceto the Cambridge community.