Councillor Walsh Released on Bail

Judge Holding 85-Year-Old Mother's Home as $250,000 Collateral

By Alessandra M. Galloni, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Cambridge City Councillor William H. Walsh was released on $250,000 bail at a federal court in Boston yesterday morning, after his 85-year old mother posted her Cambridge apartment as collateral.

Submitting a written statement to Magistrate Judge Lawrence P. Cohen, the councillor's mother, Catherine Walsh, agreed to post her 29 Hurlbut St. home on her son's behalf.

Mrs. Walsh, who was asked last Friday by Cohen to present herself at yesterday's meeting, told the Judge she understands the court will take her home if her son does not appear in court on the day of his trial.

Walsh is next slated to appear in court for a pre-trial conference on November 24. Mrs. Walsh did not comment after the hearing saying, "I don't even feel like discussing it."

Sporting the same gray suit and red, white and blue striped tie that he had worn during last Friday's hearing, a satisfied Walsh walked out of the court room holding his mother's hand. Walsh said yesterday that he "most certainly will" return to the city council on Monday and is "looking forward to it."

Walsh said the five days he had spent at the Plymouth House Jail had given him the opportunity to reflect upon the occurrences of the last two weeks.

"I don't think it was a wasted week." said Walsh. Any experience you have in life is a reflection. You see life in totally different per spectives."

Walsh, who was indicted September 30 on 59counts of bank fraud and conspiracy and faces upto 208 years in prison if convicted, signed thebail conditions yesterday afternoon.

In addition to the $250,000 bail posted on hismother's house, Walsh will not be allowed to usehis passport during the proceedings or to travelanywhere outside Massachusetts, except his summerhome in Ogunquit, Maine.

Cohen also warned Walsh during the hearing thatif he has any "reason to believe" that thecouncillor has influenced or threatened any jurorsof witnesses involved in the trial, he will issuean arrest warrant.

Prosecuting Attorney Peter A. Mullin, who toldthe court on Friday there would be a "serious riskof flight" if the councillor were released, saidyesterday that the posted bail would not secureWalsh's return to the court.

"We believe this property [29 Hurlbut St.] isnot sufficient to assure Walsh's appearancethroughout these proceedings," said Mullin.

But Walsh's attorney Jeremiah T. O'Sullivan,who has said repeatedly that Walsh's disappearancewas the result of momentary irrationality andpanic, said yesterday that "the flight was anepisode that will not be repeated again."

And Walsh's friends and supporters who came toyesterday's hearing said there was no question ofWalsh's honesty and integrity.

"He never should have been in jail at all,"said Maria K. Hill, a friend of the Walsh's wholives on the South Shore. "He has helped so manypeople."

After the hearing, Walsh said his stay in thestate jail allowed him to talk to many people,especially young teenagers, who he feels arevictims of the criminal system.

"Unfortunately, the state and local courtsystems aren't there to rehabilitate, they'rethere to deter you." said Walsh. "A number ofpeople are repeaters because the system enablesyou to repeat."

Walsh said yesterday he is willing to talk tohis supporters about his indictment and hisupcoming trial.

"My life has been an open book," added Walsh."I am always willing to explain to myconstituents.