New IOP Fellows Invoke JFK

Group Urges Students To Work for Betterment of Society

By Sarah E. Scrogin

The visiting fellows of the Institute of Politics invoked the memory of John F. Kennedy '40 in urging students to work toward the betterment of society at a forum at the Kennedy School of Government last night.

The six fellows, who will lead study groups this semester in their fields of expertise, greeted an audience of about 50 people with anecdotes about their careers in politics. Four of them recounted how Kennedy influenced on their lives.

James H. Webb said the president's assassination gave him "a profound sense of loss" which made him choose a "life of service."

Webb, a Vietnam Vietnam's heads a study group on South Vietnam's role in the war.

Patricia P. McGovern, chair of the Massachusetts Senate Ways and Means committee, said, "Jack Kennedy reached out to people of my age in a way I don't think you young people have experienced," Her study group will focus on women in politics.

Thomas R. Mathews, who said he worked behind the scenes of the Kennedy administration to help establish the Peace Corps, praised the virtues of getting things done out of the limelight. Mathews will head a study group on grass roots organizations.

Respect for Environment

The fellows also encouraged a respect for the planet. Former chair of the U.S. Senate Space subcommittee Bill Nelson, who joined the crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia on a 1986 mission, said he wished world leaders could have shared his experience.

"Wouldn't it be interesting if those making the decision could have the perspective [of Earth from space]," Nelson said. "It is so beautiful, suspended there in the midst of nothingness, and there's life, and there's home." His study group will discuss the "New Democrats" (a.k.a. Bill Clinton's moderate version of the party).

Barbara G. Pieper, a former candidate for public office in California. encouraged students to work on political campaigns, linking public service with Nelson's worldview.

"There are not many people in the world of politics who want to get between the dog and the fire hydrant," she said. "There's a voice within you, a power, an ability and, I hope, the desire to be part of more `beautiful world."

Pieper ended with a quote from Ecclesiastes: "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might." She will lead a group on "California in Crisis."

Also speaking was Kenneth R. Walker, a former White House correspondent, whose study group will focus on minorities in the media.