Campus News From Across the Country

YALE

Professor Faces Four-Year-Old Charge of Sexual Harassment

Yale officials are reportedly investigating charges of sexual harassment against a senior professor made by a woman who had considered applying to the university in 1988.

Kate Joost, now a graduate student at the University of Ohio, made the charges of harassment this fall after years of counseling to overcome her trauma.

Joost said she first met the professor at a speech at a college near her home. When she visited Yale to discuss attending graduate school there, the professor allegedly attempted to kiss her.

Yale officials declined to comment on the incident. The Yale Daily News did not name the professor. BROWN

After Fraternity Party Incident, Brown Police Want Handguns

After a fraternity party incident involving a handgun, Brown University police officials are asking Brown President Vartan Gregorian today to allow them to be deputized so they may carry firearms.

As full-service police officers under the Providence Police Department, Brown's 22 police officers would carry standard police issue handguns. Brown's security officers would remain unarmed.

The university's policy currently forbids police officers to respond to situations in which guns are involved. Officers "do not feel safe," said Lesley Pan, Special Services Manager for Brown Police and Security.

The new proposal comes in the wake of an incident in which an unknown suspect pulled and attempted to fire a gun at a Brown student during a fraternity party last weekend. The suspect, who has not been apprehended, fled across campus firing shots into the air.

Brown Graffiti Decries College's Revised Sexual Assault Policy

Graffiti has once again returned to the walls of Brown University bathrooms.

In 1990, women's restrooms there made headlines after women frustrated by Brown's sexual assault policies scrawled the names of alleged rapists on the walls.

Since then, Brown officials say they have worked to improve the disciplinary process.

But some Brown women clearly disagree. In addition to the names of accused men, graffiti this year includes sharp criticism of the revised sexual assault policy.

"There are rapists walking around this campus. The university wants us to be quiet about it. Why do we comply?" one person wrote.

Another wrote, "If nothing else, it's time to do something about Brown's fucked up sexual assault policy which defines rape as a crime against the tenets of community behavior and not against the woman." U. PENNSYLVANIA

Wharton School of Business Falls Two Ranks, to Fourth

The Wharton School of Business dropped two places to fourth in Business Week's rating of top American business schools.

The magazine gave the University of Pennsylvania program's teaching a D rating.

Business Week Senior Writer John Byrne said that it was no surprise that Wharton was rated so low by its graduates.

"If they [Wharton administrators] could just figure out how to get rid of some of the teaching duds, which is not real hard, they would get pushed up real quick," Byrne said.

Penn officials said that Wharton's low grade "might simply mean students here are more demanding."

Northwestern University's Kellogg Graduate School of Management placed first for the third straight year, while the Harvard Business School stayed in third.

The University of Chicago ranked second. U. CHICAGO

Dishwasher Falls Three Floors, Strikes Two Undergraduates

Two undergraduates at the University of Chicago suffered only minor injuries after a bizarre accident involving a dishwasher falling from a third-story balcony.

The students, Mary Burnham and Greg Kirkpatrick, were leaving an apartment building when they were struck by the dishwasher. The landlord reportedly pushed it off the balcony rather than carry it downstairs.

The students were rushed to the University of Chicago Hospital.

Burnham was treated for a black eye and released. Kirkpatrick was kept for observation for three nights because of internal bleeding, but has also been released.

Julekha Dash, Burnham's roommate, had harsh words for the landlord. "The fact is the landlord was negligent. How could anyone drop a dishwasher from forty feet up in the air? He didn't even look before he dropped the dishwasher," Dash said. CORNELL

Pro-Choice Activists Disrupt Conference, Scuffle With Cops

A group of pro-choice activists broke into an anti-abortion conference last week and refused to leave. Three of the protesters were arrested, and three security officers were slightly injured in the scuffle.

The group of protesters disrupted the Saturday morning event and kicked over a table of pro-life literature.

One person reportedly jumped on the back of a security officer, knocking him to the ground.

After security officers arrested a protester, the arresting officer was followed by crowds of pro-choice activists who demanded the student be released.

In the confusion, the arrested suspect escaped but was later captured and charged with avoiding arrest. STANFORD

Scientists Make Progress In Research on Cancer Vaccine

Researchers at Stanford University announced yesterday that they have made considerable progress in the development of a vaccine against cancer.

A team of researchers from the medical school have developed a vaccine taken from the cells of patients with B-cell lymphoma, a disease of the immune system.

The vaccine, researchers said, has prevented the recurrence of cancer in seven out of nine patients whose cancer had been sent into remission by chemotherapy.

Dr. Robert Schwartz of the New England Medical Center said the results found by the Stanford researchers provide a "ray of hope" for a therapeutic cancer vaccine.