Campus Groups Rush to Register Voters

Students Conduct Final Wave of Activity in Anticipation of Tomorrow's Deadline

By Jessica C. Schell, Contributing Reporter

As tomorrow night's voter registration deadline draws near, campus groups are making a final push to register students for the November elections.

The Institute of Politics (IOP) has led the charge this fall, said Beong-Soo Kim '94, a member of the IOP's Student Advisory Committee and head of the Student Vote Project '92.

Kim said the IOP, with help from the Environmental Action Committee (EAC), has tabled at the upperclass houses and the Harvard Union for the past couple of weeks to inform students how to register or obtain an absentee ballot.

"I think we've really helped a lot of people who wouldn't have otherwise registered to vote," Kim said.

In the last couple of weeks, the IOP has also brought registrars from Cambridge to the Science Center and the Widener steps to register students. The registrars will set up shop in front of the Science Center for the last time today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

More than 50 students have signed up at these booths, Kim said.

Tabling at the houses and the Union will continue until the election, Kim said. After the deadlines for registering and obtaining absentee ballots pass, the focus will switch to informing students about issues in the election.

In addition to providing information about registration and absentee ballots, the EAC volunteers have distributed information about environmental issues and candidates' voting records on those issues, said Amy Y. Horng '94, a board member of the EAC.

The EAC's efforts are part of The Green Vote '92, a nationwide effort to inform students about environmental issues and get them to vote. Horng, also the or- ganizer of Harvard Green Vote '92, said about150 campuses are taking part in the drive.

"We're giving students an extra motivation tovote--letting them know that there is something atstake," Horng said.

While less visible, partisan student groups oncampus have also been encouraging students to gearup for the November election.

Harvard/Radcliffe for Clinton has postered thehouses to remind them of registration deadlines,said Gregory S. Chernack '93, the organization'shead.

Neither the Harvard Republican Club nor theCollege Democrats of Harvard is workingspecifically on voter registration, according tothe leaders of those groups.

Emil Micheal '94, head of the HarvardRepublican Club, said he considered a registrationdrive, but decided that there were already enoughnon-partisan efforts to encourage voterregistration on campus.

"As long as there was fair representation, wedidn't feel that it was necessary to do anythingmore ourselves," Micheal said.

David C. Bunker '93, president of the HarvardCollege Democrats, said his group is concentratingon raising student support for presidentialcandidate Bill Clinton.

The non-partisan IOP has encouraged everyone toregister. If students are not already registeredin their home state, the IOP prefers that studentsregister in Cambridge, Kim said.

"Registration in Cambridge is more convenient,and if more students are registered in Cambridge,local representatives will be more sensitive tothe concerns to Harvard students," Kim said.

Students who wish to register, but missed theregistrars in front of the Science Center today,can still do so alt the following locations inCambridge:

Today, 6-9 p.m.: Harrington School, 850Cambridge St.; Windsor Health Clinic, 105 WindsorSt.; Fire Engine House, Inman Square; City Hall,795 Mass Ave.; Fire Engine House, 176 River St.;Cambridge Main Library, 449 Broadway; PeabodySchool, Linnean and Walker Sts.; Parish House, 11Garden St.; Fire Engine House, Lexington Ave.;Senior Center, 2050 Mass Ave.; and FitzgeraldSchool, 70 Rindge Ave.

Tomorrow, 8:30 a.m. -10 p.m. at the ElectionCommission, 362 Green St