Actress Jane Fonda Talks at Radcliffe

Discusses Personal Experiences, Feminism, Politics at Lyman Common Room

By Wendy A. Gribb, Crimson Staff Writer

Actress, political activist and fitness guru Jane Fonda met for breakfast and conversation with more than 100 female students, faculty and guests of Radcliffe College at Agassiz House yesterday.

Fonda shared personal experiences as well as thoughts on feminism and politics with the coffee-sipping crowd, which began to gather in the Lyman Common Room around 8 a.m.

She said that for a long time she felt guilty about being a feminist, concerned that people might consider her hostile towards men.

But then she read Backlash, by Susan C. Faludi '81, which chronicles the media's and society's negative reaction to the feminist movement in the U.S.

"It meant more to me than any book I read in my life," Fonda said. "It reinforced my deep, deep belief that we must not allow [hatred] to creep into our hearts."

She said women must not return the hostility expressed toward them by those who resent their advancement in society.

"We can't win equality when men are left behind. All of us have to move forward together. When women are liberated, men will be liberated as well," she said.

Reading Backlash prompted her to wonder why she is happy with her life and marriage when so many women are not, she said.

"It's because I'm financially independent," she said. "I know who I am, I have proven myself on my own terms, I can come to the relationship as an equal. Otherwise, I'd be steamrolled."

Fonda said she realized then that "Feminism is not about not marrying or not having children. It's about choices. It's about being listened to."

Fonda responded to questions after her remarks.

She told one audience member that she believes the portrayal of women in film will gradually improve.

"Right now in Hollywood it's really, really bad," she said. "You can't make a movie that can't be summed up in one sentence. And those are the movies for men."

Fonda praised Roseanne Barr as a "powerful working-class feminist" and said she believes television is the place for women to make their mark.

She concluded by offering some personal insights for women.

"I feel uncomfortable when people like me are held up as a hero, as superwoman. I have money. I have a housekeeper. I have a secretary," she said.

Instead, she said, the unrecognized women who struggle to hold down multiple jobs while raising families without help are the ones who deserve the praise.

"I am always bowled over by women who have unbelievable power," Fonda said. "We need to give ourselves credit for what we do."