Environmental Major Needs Further Study

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

If yesterday's Faculty meeting was any indication, the proposed Environmental Sciences and Public Policy concentration will require more revision before it meets full faculty approval.

At its monthly meeting, the Faculty discussed the concentration and reviewed a tentative plan of study.

The planned curriculum requires introductory Earth and Planetary Sciences (EPS), biology, math and chemistry courses. It offers two tracks for concentrators.

The "physical and biological sciences" option includes more biology and EPS courses in addition to engineering sciences, Graduate School of Design and School of Public Health offerings. The "social sciences" track includes anthropology, economics, government and history classes, as well Kennedy School and Law School courses.

Some professors questioned the disproportionatenumber of hard science courses in theconcentration's curriculum. Others, like Professorof Government Jorge I. Dominguez, doubted theproposal's very structure.

"This doesn't look like a concentration,"Dominguez said. Instead, he said, it is merely "acollection of courses in an array of departments."

Dominguez suggested that concentration plannersadd a sophomore tutorial and streamline therequirements so the program is "not a string ofintroductory courses."

Rotch Professor of Atmospheric Science MichaelB. McElroy presented the proposal to the Facultyand defended its curriculum. McElroy has beenpivotal in the concentration's development.

"It's the best compromise we could come upwith," he said.

Because of the scientific nature of many issuesin the environmental public policy field, McElroysaid, "it is very important to insist in areasonably broad background in physical andbiological sciences."

McElroy, Faculty Council member Susan J. Pharrand Dean of Undergraduate Education Lawrence Buellalluded to extensive discussions about theconcentration proposal in the Faculty Council andthe Educational Policy Committee.

The Faculty Council will continue to review andrevise the proposal, said Pharr, who is Reischauerprofessor of Japanese politics