Luminaries Predict The Game's Outcome

By Kelly M. Bowdren, Contributing Reporter

Ask the bookies in Las Vegas, and they'll tell you the odds are just about even in today's gridiron matchup between Harvard and Yale.

But that hasn't stopped alumni of the two schools from forecasting the outcome, with each side confidently predicting victory.

This year, of course, the hot question is which side the incoming Clinton administration supports in today's contest.

The new administration has divided loyalties at its very top. President-elect Bill Clinton is a graduate of Yale Law School, while his number-two man,

Sen. Al Gore is a member of Harvard's class of '69.

Is The Game the hot-button issue that will reveal a rift at the very heart of the new administration? Repeated attempts by The Crimson to contact the Clinton/Gore transition team yielded no response to this crucial question.

An investigation of Massachusetts' senatorial delegation revealed a definite split, however.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 had no problem calling the outcome of The Game: Harvard 17, Yale 10.

But his Senate colleague, John F. Kerry, saw things a little differently. Kerry, a Yale graduate, said Clinton's decisive victory in the November election heralds a clear win for his almamater.

"It'll be another electoral college landslidefor Yale," Kerry said.

Other Harvard and Yale graduates were equallyobjective in their analysis of the situation.

President Neil L. Rudenstine confidentlypredicted a Harvard shutout tomorrow, 7-0.

In a rare bipartisan flourish, William Kristol'73, chief of staff for Vice President Dan Quayle,agreed with Kennedy. Kristol's line: Harvard 21,Yale 3.

Actor Jack Lemmon '47 didn't want to bet on thespread, but his spirit was certainly paintedCrimson. "All I hope is that Harvard wins by alot."

President Bush, who graduated from Yale in1948, said through a spokesperson that hesupported his alma mater.

Ditto for another well-known Yalie, Doonesburycartoonist Garry Trudeau, who predicted a 27-13win for Yale.

Yale Provost Judith Rodin, who turned down thepresidency of Radcliffe three years ago and who isnow a top candidate for Yale's presidency, alsodeclined to predict the score. But she made itclear where her loyalties lay.

"Of course, Yale's going to win," she said