Harvard Honors Marquand

Nearly 100 Friends Remember Late Dudley Senior Tutor

By Jessica C. Schell, Contributing Reporter

Nearly 100 friends of the late John R. Marquand gathered yesterday at Dudley House to remember the former senior tutor who made Harvard "a place students wanted to be."

The crowd "defied characterization," said Dudley House Master Paul D. Hanson, but shared a common experience: Marquand had advised them.

An open microphone provided an opportunity for faculty and College graduates to share humorous and touching anecdotes about his life.

Peter Shapiro '74 recalled that Marquand "spent the time to be with you as an individual. There was one guy in the midst of the institution who took the time to really establish a rapport."

More important than Marquand's host of official positions, from secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to first-year advisor, was his special relationship with many students, said Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57.

"Everyone had a relationship with John that stressed the humanity of people," Jewett said. "He remains an alive and important person who will always be with us."

Dudley House Senior Tutor Thomas A. Dingman '67 announced the establishment of a fund in Marquand's memory, money from which will be used for the "support, advising and benefit of non-traditional undergraduates at Harvard College."

"The purpose of the fund is to make sure thatstudents still receive the kind of close personalattention that John Marquand personified duringhis time at Harvard," Dingman said.

Friends of Marquand have donated almost $25,000to the fund, which will become part of theendowment of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.Beneficiaries will be chosen with preference forundergraduate Dudley House affiliates, Dingmansaid.

Marquand received an M.A. in medieval historyfrom Harvard in 1963. His Harvard career includedpositions such as Lowell House resident tutor,first-year advisor and assistant dean of HarvardCollege. Marquand also served as a member of thestanding committee on admissions and financialaid