HSA Elects President For Upcoming Year

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) elected its president for 1993-94 last week.

Martin E. Escobari '94, manager of the HSA's Let's Go Travel Store, was elected last Thursday night by the governing board of the HSA, said outgoing president Brian A. Goler '93.

Escobari said increasing the visibility of HSA would be a priority. "We might be moving out of Thayer to a new location, possibly on Church Street, to become more visible next semester," he said.

Laura A. Cooley '95 was elected vice president by the employees earning more than $100 at large. Other candidates for the position were Hector R. Rocha '94, Fran Maxime '94 and Adam M. Smith '94, Goler said.

Escobari will assume office when HSA's new fiscal year begins February 1, 1993, and will serve through January 31, 1994, Goler said.

Escobari said he was excited about starting his new job. "There are very few opportunities in which an undergraduate gets to have the responsibilities that the president of HSA does," he said.

The HSA president is in charge of budgets, business plans and the training of student managers, Escobari said.

Outgoing vice-president Charissa A. Latibeaudiere '94 said she thought Escobari would be an effective president. "I am very confident that Martin will keep HSA dedicated to being student-run, just making sure that students are...making decisions," she said.

Goler said HSA has narrowed the search for a new general manager to a few candidates, adding that the selection will be made soon.

"At the latest, a new general manager will be hired by the end of the fiscal year," said Goler.

The governing board, which elects the HSA president, consists of 10 student members, 7 alumni and 7 University administrators.