Undergrads Train With NOW

Students Prepare to React to Operation Rescue Blockades

By Ivy A. Wang, Contributing Reporter

Approximately 70 Harvard undergraduates trained with the National Organization for Women (NOW) yesterday in preparation for a possible round of Operation Rescue protests at an abortion clinic in Boston later this month.

Members of the Massachusetts chapter of NOW instructed a group consisting mostly of women in combat and defense tactics to counteract action by Operation Rescue, a prolife activist group which organizes highly publicized blockades of abortion clinics.

Harvard-Radcliffe Students for Choice members organized the training after learning of Operation Rescue plans to demonstrate at clinics in Massachusetts on Saturday, November 14.

Harvard students will participate in the defense of the Gynecare clinic in Boston.

According to Ellen Convisser, president of the Massachusetts chapter of NOW, the purpose of the counter protest is to make a political statement, as well as to protect the rights of women.

"Direct action is an essential part of the democratic process," Convisser said.

Although the Harvard Alliance for Life has no official affiliation with Operation Rescue, the organization's president yesterday expressed disdain for the efforts of NOW and Students for Choice.

"I think it is absurd for two reasons," said President Mark J. Barker '95.

"One, I see nothing wrong in trying to save unborn lives, and two, all that NOW is going to achieve is a greater chance of a more volatile atmosphere.

Margot Storsteen of NOW demonstrated a defense position called the "anti-crawler line."

The technique involves demonstrators standing in two rows behind the police barricades, locking arms to prevent anti-abortion activists fromcrawling through their legs and getting to theclinic.

She also showed how to escort a client througha group of protesters.

Students at the meeting divided into groups topractice taking Operation Rescue "hits" whileperforming the two techniques