Ruck and Roll! M. Ruggers Win Easterns

Crimson Earns Position in National Semis After Slamming LSU, Navy Over Weekend

By John C. Ausiello, Crimson Staff Writer

Ronnie was asleep in the Oval Office. Madonna was still at least like a virgin. Larry and Magic were dancing a duet in the NBA Finals. And the Harvard men's rugby squad had a national championship.

The year was 1984.

Now, Ronnie is asleep on his ranch. Madonna is anything but a virgin. Both Larry and Magic have stepped aside for His Airness and a man called The Shaq. And the Harvard men's rugby squad is on the verge of another national championship.

The year is 1992.

Harvard took a giant step towards a national championship by beating LSU and Navy at the Eastern Collegiate Rugby Championship in Columbia, S.C.

Harvard beat LSU on Saturday, 55-8, and Navy, 19-6, on Sunday to take the prestigious title.

By virtue of its successful weekend, Harvard advanced to the National Collegiate Rugby Final Four to be held in Houston next May.

The other three finalists will be determined in regional contests in the coming months.

"We are very pleased with our performances this weekend," junior Bob Jordan said.

Kind of an understatement, don't you think?

"Against LSU, for 60 of the 80 minutes, we probably played our best rugby of the year. The Navy game was plagued with penalties. The constant stoppage of play hurt the flow of our game, but we still played quite well," Jordan said.

The key to the victories was the play of the backs led by sophomore Kiki Ssennyamantono, who was named tournament defensive MVP.

Now that Harvard has an invitation to the Big Dance, it can thank the backs for showing the Crimson how to waltz.

"Our backs were the best at the tournament," senior Peter November said. "As long as the offense kept up the pressure, the backs would take care of the rest."

Of course, the offensive production wasn't too bad either.

In the two games, Harvard amassed a hefty 74 points.

Not to be outdone by the backs, Harvard senior forward Ben Frickel won the tournament's offensive MVP honors.

This weekend was the culmination of its psychological comeback after the tough loss to McGill on November 7.

"I think that we have turned it around since the loss to McGill," November said. "We have pulled it together as a team, and mentally we have toughened up."

"We wanted the ball more than either of the teams this weekend," Jordan said.

Does this team have what it takes to win the national championship?

The team thinks so.

The planets are in line, and the rugby Gods are wearing Crimson shirts. It looks like the Johnnies' year.

"If we play our game, then we can play with anyone in the country," November said. "We just have to keep up our team play and confidence. It wouldn't hurt to get more physical either."

You all heard it, MAC-users. Look for the ruggers to hit the weight room.

For you body builders out there, if you do see any of them pumpin' iron, go chat with them.

You never know, you just might be talking to a future national champion.