Intestinal Illness Hits Leverett

Students Blame Food; Doctor Says Virus More Likely

By Helen L. Limm, Contributing Reporter

A wave of intestinal illness struck Leverett House residents over the weekend, students said yesterday.

At least 30 students developed flulike symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhea. Many said they believed their ailments were due to food poisoning from meals served in the Leverett dining hall.

"It seems that the common denominator was grilled cheese or pizza," said Dionne A. Green '93.

But officials from University Health Services said that there was no rise in the number of emergency maladies reported last weekend. Dr. Peter J. Zuromskis, director of acute care services and medical adviser to environmental health services, said that the symptoms were caused by a virus and not by food poisoning.

"A certain number of students will get intestinal illnesses, especially around this time of year," said Zuromskis. "[This weekend] there was no one particular illness from any one particular reason."

None of the students interviewed yesterday said they went to UHS during their illness. And others said that UHS workers advised them not to come in for treatment.

"When I called UHS, they said that it was probably a virus, and to let it pass," said Carol E. Rava '92.

The students' complaints have prompted an investigation of the quality of food preparation in Lev- erett by Harvard Dining Services andEnvironmental Services.

"Although we have all these systems to ensuresafety, we still double-check and make sure allour systems are still in place," said LeonardCondenzio, assistant director for operations forHarvard Dining Services.

Inconsistencies

Officials said that they have run intoinconsistencies in student complaints, obscuringthe source of the problem.

"There was nothing that tied them alltogether," said David Lentini, general manager ofthe dining services for the river houses. "Theymentioned a lot of symptoms indicative of viralillnesses."

Student Response

Lentini interviewed Leverett students yesterdaywith Dining Hall Manager Frank Dalaklis andCharles Kraus, an environmental servicesconsultant.

"Some students who got sick didn't even eathere," said Dalaklis. "And those who did, atedifferent things."

Zuromskis said that the reports made to UHSwere not characteristic of food poisoning.

But most students interviewed yesterdayexpressed doubt that the illness was due to avirus.

"It seems strange that no one else has gottenit since," said Nancy E. Eisen '92.

"It was right after lunch. It came on soquickly that it was apparent [that dining hallfood caused the illness]," said Mark R. Hite '93."It was easily the worst night of my life.

Inconsistencies

Student Response