And Away They Go

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK

By Justin R. P. ingersoll, Contributing Reporter

Forget the first half of the Harvard women's basketball team's season.

Who cares if it lost most of its non-conference games. It's the Ivies that really matter.

And now, in the meat of its Ivy schedule, the Crimson is on a roll.

Harvard has won three games in a row, and shares second place with Dartmouth in the Ancient Eight. Both teams are 5-2 and challenging Brown (7-1) for the top Ivy spot.

"We want to win the title," Co-Captain Maura Healey said. "We have to win the next seven games."

A Win and a Bit More

The team didn't just pick up an important Ivy win when it defeated Cornell, 81-59, at Briggs Cage last Saturday night.

The Crimson also picked up a bunch of fans.

After the game, autograph seekers from the Milford Junior High mobbed the Harvard squad.

"It's great to know you can be a good role model," junior guard Erin Maher said. "I remember how nice it was when someone reached out to me. It means a lot."

Meanwhile, Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith told the youngsters to "study hard."

Fabulous Flandermeyer

Junior center Debbie Flandermeyer was named Ivy League Player of the Week for her performance in Harvard's weekend sweep of Columbia and Cornell.

On Friday Flandermeyer recorded a "double-double" against Columbia, tallying 26 points and grabbing 15 rebounds. The following night she notched 15 points and seven rebounds.

Flandermeyer leads the Ivy League in field goal percentage, shooting .537.

Special Assistance

Maher dished out a career-high nine assists against Cornell, while Healey still tops the Ancient Eight with 6.7 per game.