Sister Souljah Emphasizes Black Heritage

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

Sister Souljah, a self-described "raptivist" who is a member of the group Public Enemy, spoke last night at the Law School on the need for Blacks to rediscover their African heritage and empower themselves.

The rap performer told the audience of approximately 150 in Ames Courtroom that Blacks need to learn about African tradition and return to its values.

In Africa, she said, fathers passed knowledge on to their sons and mothers did so to their daughters.

"Young people today forget what is the proper definition of what is manhood or womanhood," she said.

White Society Waging War

Souljah also said white society is waging a war against Blacks today.

"A state of war exists anytime a state, society or person takes anything that is rightfully yours," she said. "Our ability to control our own ideas...to control our own culture, to control our own economy, to be free as physical persons, has been declared war upon."

The rap artist also said that it is necessary for African peoples around the world to come together and empower themselves to stand against thewhite "new world order."

"Everything that does not presently exist inthe African community is something that you haveto build," she said. "It is our turn to buildsomething."

The rap performer encouraged students to makean effort to save the Black community.

"If you're an African student, your purpose isto gain skills and mastery to bring power back tothe community," she said.

Souljah had harsh words for some prominentBlack political leaders. "I think that [New YorkCity Mayor] David Dinkins is disgusting," shesaid, decrying those who have "white minds inBlack bodies."

Souljah said relationships between individualsare important in building a unified Blackcommunity.

"You cannot be nationalistic if you can't loveeach other," she said, urging students to avoidinterracial romantic relationships.

Souljah also discussed the issue ofBlack-Jewish relationships in the United States.

"Black people have been made to feel guilty forrevealing relationships between Zionists andoppressed people around the world," she said.

She said that Blacks must not "rearrange thefurniture" of their beliefs every time someoneobjects to them.

The speech was sponsored by the Black StudentsAssociation and the Black Law StudentsAssociation