Council Endorses Plan for Concert

Backs Privately Organized Event

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council last night narrowly endorsed a rock concert organized by a group of Mather House students led by a council officer.

The council voted 36-24 to approve a $20 allocation to advertise a Spin Doctors concert scheduled for February 12 in the Black Rose, a local bar.

Michael P. Beys '94, who was elected treasurer last night, won council support for the concert after a 20 minute debate. Beys and 11 Mather residents are financing the project.

If the concert is profitable, Beys and his group will pay back the $20 allocation to the council and keep the remainder of the profits. If the concert is not profitable, Beys will not have to repay the allocation.

The council sponsorship of a private and potentially profitable venture drew criticism from several veteran council members.

Before the bill passed, social committee Co-Chair Tree F. Loong' 93 argued that Beys may be inappropriately using the council's name for personal profit.

But Beys said he used his acquaintance with the band to bring it to the Harvard campus as a service to the undergraduate body.

"The U.C. requires individual initiative to get things done," he said. "A body of 88 people cannot make decisions effectively. I took it upon myself to bring a band to Harvard."

Beys said the Spin Doctors usually charge several thousand dollars for a performance but are only charging his group $1000.

Beys said he expects 300 people to buy the $7 concert tickets, which he said will barely provide revenues to cover costs.

Several council members criticized the resolution, calling it a personal loan to Beys.

Residential committee Co-Chair Jennifer W. Grove '94 repeatedly questioned Bey's motives.

"Is Mike throwing a party and wanting to put [the council's] name on it to make sure enough people come," Grove shouted from the back of the room.

At the meeting, Beys responded angrily to the criticism, insisting that his only concern is to serve the community.

"Obviously, people who have dissented feel intimidated because they haven't been able to get the job done over the years," Beys said after the meeting. "Here's someone who overnight got this band to play. My only hope is that they show up."

Beys and Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93presented the resolution to the council last nightwithout the approval of the social committee, bypassing regular channels.

Beys said that he had to take extraordinaryaction because of the special deal offered by theSpin Doctors and the time constraints associatedwith it.

"I had to make some quick decisions thatcouldn't be democratic," he said, "But if I hadthe time, I would have gone through the properchannels and will in the future."

Council leaders said they were unsure whetherthe council constitution permits it to sponsor aparty at an off-campus club.

"We ratified it, but we don't know if there's arule saying that the U.C. can't throw a party in abar," Beys said.

Beys acknowledged in the interview that thecouncil decision posed a conflict-of-interestproblems.

He said his personal involvement in the SpinDoctors project may have been the main reason thecouncil took the unusual step of endorsing aprivately funded and organized social event.

'Very Irregular'

"It is very irregular," said Beys. "I agree itcould be interpreted as a conflict of interest.That's why I brought it before the whole council."

Beys pointed to the council's endorsement asfull vindication of his efforts.

"If they didn't want to sponsor the event, theydidn't have to vote to endorse it," he said.

But Beys said he was worried that the decisionmight set a bad precedent for future councilinvolvement with private social events.

"I tried to do a good thing for the council. Ihope my intentions haven't been misunderstood," hesaid. "I hope that indeed doesn't set a badprecedent."

Heinicke said he presented the bill to thecouncil floor so members would give it a fairhearing.

He made it clear that the council had noliability in what he called a "loan," and not an"appropriation" of council funds, to Beys.

"The U.C. involvement was a nominal $20,"Heinicke said. "Mike has taken all the financialrisks him-self," Heinicke said

'Very Irregular'