Council Re-Elects Aronberg As Chair

Unopposed for Second Term

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

David A. Aronberg '93 coasted unopposed through the mid-year Undergraduate Council elections last night, renewing his term as chair for another semester.

Aronberg, who said this will be his last term as chair, called his re-election a "vote of confidence" by the council.

Though he politely refused to give a victory speech after the election, he expressed elation after the end of the council's first session of the spring semester. "I love this job and I didn't want to leave it," Aronberg said, beaming. "I'm very thankful the council let me stay around another semester."

Last semester, Aronberg was elected on a platform of heavily service-oriented issues such as improved shuttle bus service, better security and more social events.

He has drawn almost unanimous praise for guiding the council's grants process and its debate on the future of the Reserve Officers Training Corps program.

Aronberg's big test this term may be his effort to organize a successful concert at Harvard and he is expected to follow up on his campaign promise to make use of the council's $50,000 overflow in spring programs.

The other three elections last night--for vice chair, treasurer and secretary--were also uncontested, the first four-way sweep since the spring elections of 1989.

As most council members predicted, incumbent Vice-Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93, who last week had considered challenging Aronberg for chair, was re-elected unanimously.

Echoing Aronberg's sentiments, Heinicke said his victory expressed the approval of the rest of the council.

"If, indeed, it was a vote of confidence, it wasn't a referendum on me personally but on the entire council," said Heinicke. "I'm proud that I'm part of the leadership that the council has given us."

In the other elections, former services committee Vice-Chair Peter K. Lee '94 assumed the post of secretary from Nhan T. Vu '91-'92, who stepped down after one term in the office.

And former finance committee Co-Chair Michael P. Beys '94 replaced outgoing Treasurer April Osborg '93, who declined a nomination for re-election.