Malone to Join Archdiocese

United Ministry Member to Work With Jewish Community

By Wendy A. Gribb, Contributing Reporter

A member of Harvard's United Ministry recently accepted a newly created position with the Catholic Archdiocese of Boston.

Richard J. Malone was appointed assistant director for Catholic-Jewish relations with the Office for Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Affairs last week.

In the past, according to Malone, one priest coordinated all organized dialogue between Catholics and Jews in the Boston area. Diocese officials developed the new position as part of a recent decision to increase these efforts.

Malone said he plans to meet with key members of the local Jewish community to establish an agenda.

"I will serve as a link between the Cardinal and the Jewish community of Boston," Malone said.

Harvard as Resource

Malone will work on a study concerning the representation of Jewish people and Judaism in Catholic education. Another study will focus on references to Jews in Roman Catholic worship.

Malone said his ongoing work with Catholic and Jewish students at Harvard is a resource he intends to tap in his new post.

"I will be continuing the wonderful tradition of regular meetings between Jewish and Catholic students," he said.

The United Ministry member said he is looking forward to his new position.

"I am a person who has always had a strong appreciation for Jewish tradition and consider it a privilege and a challenge to be able to foster relations between Catholics and Jews," Malone said.