Students Debate Issues Surrounding Abortion

By Brad EDWARD White, Contributing Reporter

Student panelists faced off in a sometimes heated debate over issues of abortion at the Institute of Politics last night.

Representatives of four student groups--Alliance For Life, Students for Choice, Harvard/Radcliffe Democrats and the Harvard Republican Club--participated in the forum, which drew approximately 120 spectators to Starr Auditorium.

The Harvard Political Union sponsored the debate, which was titled "Abortion, Parental Consent, and National Policy."

Abortion rights have come under increased scrutiny during the last few months as an upcoming Supreme Court case has raised the possibility of a reversal of the court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. In addition, the Freedom of Choice Act, which would codify the Roe decision, was recently introduced in Congress.

Rachel E. Cohen '94, a member of Students for Choice, opened the first portion of the debate by stressing theimportance of upholding Roe v. Wade. Shewarned of the "frightening prospect" of illegalabortions.

Cohen also discussed socio-economic factors inthe abortion issue, and asserted that the"imposition of forced pregnancy leads todiscrimination."

"Abortion is going to happen whether or not welegislate against it," Cohen said, concluding, "Itis imperative that abortion remain both safe andlegal."

Karen E. Boyle '94, membership director of theHarvard Republican Club, espoused the view thatlife "unquestionably" begins at conception, Choicedoes exist for women--before conception, she said.

'Collapse of Principles'

Boyle expressed concern over the "collapse ofprinciples" apparent in the U.S. today. Shesuggested abstinence, birth control and adoptionas partial solutions to the current problem.

In addition, Boyle maintained that the"beginnings of life" should be valued andcherished and that fetuses should be protected bythe very fact that it is possible to consider themhuman lives.

In answer to a question about the effect ofrape on a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy,Christopher L. Garcia '95, policy director of theHarvard Republican Club, said, "Desire does notindicate the worth of a life...all abortion ismurder."

Garcia said he believed parental consent shouldbe necessary for abortions performed on teenagers,since those in this age group are "emotionally andmentally unformed." He further claimed thatparental consent requirements act to preventabortions and that the influence of "profit-hungryabortionists" must be decreased.

Young Women Punished

Mike D. Evers '95, another Students for Choicemember, maintained that the government cannotlegislate morality. He also asserted that parentalconsent laws discriminate against teenage women,since by upholding them, the courts punish youngwomen who become pregnant.

With regard to Evers' views on governmentlegislation of morality, Garcia cited theillegality of manslaughter and rape, saying"almost all legislation is morality."

And Kelly M. Bowdren '94 of the Alliance forLife, added that she believed "national policycannot be framed on the basis of privatemorality." Bowdren concluded, "If we are going toerr, let it be on the side of life."

In closing remarks, Cohen repeated her call forabortion to remain safe and legal and Bowdrenasserted that government is justified inattempting to answer the question of when lifebegins.CrimsonSusannah RossKELLY M. BOWDREN '94, CHRISTOPHER GARCIA '95and KAREN E. BOYLE '94 address questions from theaudience at an IOP debate yesterday.

'Collapse of Principles'

Young Women Punished