Group Intensifies Anti-Gomes Drive

Revives Old Allegations of Misconduct

By D. RICHARD De silva, Crimson Staff Writer

The student group campaigning for the resignation of the Rev. Peter J. Gomes as minister of Memorial Church has launched a new offensive, urging the University to re-examine allegations of administrative misconduct that were first raised four years ago.

Concerned Christians at Harvard, which claims 50 members, is publicizing charges made by a former Memorial Church administrator about Gomes' hiring practices and his financial management of the church during the 1980s.

The former officials, Edwin R. Melhorn, first made the allegations after he was fired by Gomes in May 1987. A University investigation concluded at the time that Gomes "did not violate the trust which the University has placed in him," said Vice President and General Counsel Daniel Steiner '54 in a statement issued last month.

The Concerned Christians issued a press release last week urging the University to conduct a new investigation of the charges. The group has been in contact with several news organizations, including CNN, Time magazine and The Boston Globe, but sent the statement only to The Crimson.

The Concerned Christians has urged Gomes to resign because it disagrees with his belief that homosexuality is not a sin. The group's support for Melhorn's allegations adds a new dimension to its campaign, expanding it beyond a doctrinal dispute.

Last November, Gomes announced he is gay during a rally against an issue of the conservative journal Peninsula which included several articles critical of homosexuality.

The Concerned Christians staged a candlelight vigil against Gomes last month, shortly after President Neil L. Rudenstine issued a strong statement defending him.

Sumner E. Anderson '92, the group's chair, says Rudenstine should withdraw his endorsement of Gomes in light of melhorn's allegations.

Melhorn brought the information to Anderson in January after reading about his demand for Gomes' resignation in The Crimson.

Gomes, who is also Plummer professor of Christian morals, issued a statement last month declining to comment on the charges.

"I do not believe that these allegations demandany further comment by myself or my staff asfurther comment will only serve to give credenceto something that deserves none," he said.

Gomes is bound by a confidentialityagreement--part of the settlement of Melhorn'semployment dispute with Harvard--which forbids himfrom discussing Melhorn's allegations, accordingto his attorney Steven Brooks. Melhorn allegedlyviolated the agreement by airing the charges, saysBrooks.

Range of Allegations

In a series of interviews with The Crimson,Melhorn painted an unflattering portrait of Gomesand made a wide variety of charges about hisconduct. The allegations range in severity fromviolations of University rules to questions abouthis management ability to personal attacks on hischaracter.

Melhorn provided The Crimson with copies of anumber of documents which he says substantiate hisassertions.

The bulk of Melhorn's charges is related toquestionable use of Memorial Church funds in 1986and a hiring decision in 1987 which allegedlyviolated University personnel regulations.

Melhorn filed another complaint last month withthe University and sent a letter to Rudenstinerequesting a meeting.

Steiner says the University conducted athorough internal investigation of Melhorn'scharges as part of a broader review of MemorialChurch management and financial practices in 1987.

The probe prompted some changes in managementand financial practices, but Steiner refused todisclose details.

"President Rudenstine is not going to doanything about these stale allegations," saysSteiner. "There was nothing new in thosedocuments."

Melhorn's credibility has also been questionedby a number of current and past employees of thechurch, including two who Melhorn said mightsupport his claims.

John R. Ferris, who retired last year after 32years as the church organist, says Melhorn "wasremoved from his job much to everyone's delight."

"I would not take stock in what he says as atall," adds Ferris. "We all had a very low opinionof him."

Daniel J. Griffin, an editor in Harvard'sOffice of Printing and Publishing and anotherMelhorn reference, also vouches for Gomes.

"I'm surprised that [Melhorn] is making theseallegations so long after," says Griffin. "I'veknown Reverend Gomes for 10 years and he's a fineperson."

Hiring Improprieties?

One of Melhorn's allegations concerns Gomes'decision to hire Divinity School student RichardL. Tafel as an assistant in 1987. According toMelhorn, Gomes may have violated Universityguidelines on nepotism.

Tafel says Gomes hired him as assistant to theminister for special projects.

At the time, Tafel was also serving as housemanager of Sparks House, the official residence ofthe minister of Memorial Church, Tafel says. Hesays he has been Gomes' house manager since 1985.

Melhorn says Gomes violated University policyon nepotism which forbids employment of"individuals regularly sharing the staff member'sresidence."

As house manager of Sparks House, Tafel couldtechnically be considered a member of Gomes'household, Melhorn says.

Boston telephone directories since 1986 havelisted both Tafel's and Gomes' addresses at SparksHouse, 21 Kirkland St.

Since the post of Sparks House manager is not aUniversity-paid position, Tafel's hiring atMemorial Church cannot be considered an internalpromotion, Melhorn says.

But Steiner says Harvard's nepotism rules maynot apply in Tafel's case, adding that the policy"should not be read too literally." He would notcomment further.

Tafel says he is unaware of any allegations ofimpropriety regarding his hiring.

Tafel says he is still house manager at SparksHouse, although he quit his post at MemorialChurch last summer to accept an appointment todirect the adolescent health program in thestate's Department of Public Health.

Financial Allegations

The majority of Melhorn's charges concernGomes' management of Memorial Church finances.

Melhorn says Gomes is responsible for budgetdeficits at Memorial Church between 1981 and 1986.And Melhorn says Gomes cited those deficits as areason for his decision to dismiss him.

The church's budget deficit for fiscal year1986-7 was approximately $140,000, according toUniversity financial reports. The church ran a$15,000 surplus the year before, the reportsindicate.

Church budget figures prior to 1985 wereunavailable. In recent years, church finances havebeen more or less balanced, officials say.

Steiner acknowledges that the internal reviewof Memorial Church in 1986 uncovered managementand financial problems.

"As a result of the review, suggestions weremade for improving management and financialpractices and for reducing certain areas ofexpenditures," says Steiner. "In short, there wasneed for improvement. Rev. Gomes accepted andcarried out these suggestions."

Steiner declined to specify the changes thatthe church adopted.

Harvard departments occasionally encounterfinancial difficulties and they are usually solvedinternally, according to Elizabeth C. Huidekoper,an official in the University finance department.

Sparks House Parties

Melhorn says Gomes aggravated budget deficitsby throwing "lavish" parties at the expense ofMemorial Church.

In addition, Melhorn says most of the partieswere catered by Peasant Stock, a Somervillecatering firm owned by one of Gomes' formerclassmates.

Melhorn says the church provided Peasant Stockwith about $35,000 in business in 1986. Thecatering firm is owned by Gerald S. Pierce, a 1968Divinity School classmate of Gomes.

Melhorn provided The Crimson with copies ofreceipts for functions catered by Peasant Stock,including a birthday party and an informal dinner,totaling about $1200.

Pierce, who says he has catered Memorial Churchfunctions for eight years, denied that Gomescharged the church for catering at personalparties.

Pierce says he catered events held at SparksHouse, and that those events were always "officialUniversity functions to which professors orstudents would be invited."

"Every function that I have ever catered for[Gomes] has had an academic purpose in mind," saysPierce. "I can't every remember any function thatcan be called 'personal.' Any catering I did forGomes was all church related."

Melhorn also says Gomes used church fund forother personal expenditures, but could notsubstantiate the charges.

Melhorn's Termination

Melhorn provided The Crimson with his 1986termination letter from Gomes. The four-pageletter details grievances against Melhorn,including financial mismanagement, administrativenegligence and poor relations with staff members.

After his dismissal, Melhorn says he filed acomplaint with former President Derek C. Bok.

He says he appealed to a special arbitrationcommittee and was represented by Ramsay Professorof Managerial Economics Howard Raiffa. UniversityAttorney Anne Taylor confirmed that Raiffarepresented Melhorn at the hearing.

Melhorn says Raiffa cautioned him againstpursuing the case against Gomes. Raiffa has notreturned return repeated phone calls from TheCrimson.

The University settled with Melhorn in November1987, awarding him back-pay up to the time of thehearing and accepting his resignation instead offiring him, Melhorn says.

He says Harvard met all of his demands.

"Harvard recognized that I had been wronged andthey wanted to settle this thing," says Melhorn.

Melhorn lives in San Diego, Calif., where hesays he works as a patient counselor. He says hissalary is now $19,000--a $26,000 drop from hisannual earnings at Harvard--and that he stillcannot find a good job.

Melhorn says he was employed by IBM for 27years, and served as chief financial officer ofthe United Methodist Church in Portland, Ore.,before becoming Officer for Administration andDevelopment at Memorial Church in 1985

Range of Allegations

Hiring Improprieties?

Financial Allegations

Sparks House Parties

Melhorn's Termination

He says Harvard met all of his demands.