Council Approves De La Soul Concert By Margin of One

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The rap group De La Soul has officially been offered top billing in this May's "Rock For Shelter" concert as a result of an emergency vote taken via telephone which began late Wednesday night.

The deciding vote approving Beys' deal was called in yesterday afternoon, according to Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93.

The last-minute vote was taken in order to meet today's deadline for securing a band for the charity event. Treasurer Michael P. Beys '94 contacted the rap group Tuesday and negotiated a $10,000 price tag for the appearance.

Immediately after hearing the results last night, Robert C. Rhew '92 and John R. Holena '94--the two most active members of the ad hoc subcommittee responsible for organizing the concert--said they would stop working for Rock For Shelter.

Rhew and Holena expressed bitterness toward Beys and said the treasurer "forced De La Soul down our throats" by making arrangements with the band without consulting them.

"De La Soul is going to sabotage our entire plans," Rhew said. "We had our acts worked out in February. There has been a blatant disregard for the ad hoc committee."

Rhew and Holena also said last night that they want to disassociate the Rock For Shelter name from the charity concert. They said that expense of bringing De La Soul to the concert would jeopardize Rock For Shelter's ability to raise money for the homeless.

But Beys argued at Wednesday's meeting that bringing in the big name band could both raise more proceeds for the charity and provide more entertainment for students.

Holena, in particular, lambasted Council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 for turning the charity event into a student-oriented concert.

"What's the practical reason for keeping the Rock For Shelter name on it?" Holena asked. "Dave himself said the U.C. doesn't care about the issue of homelessness."

Aronberg said Wednesday that since the council represents the students, undergraduate concerns should be top priority.

Holena said that Beys, who he described as a"sales pressure type of guy," tried to intimidatehim into accepting De La Soul before the vote wastaken Wednesday night.

"Before the meeting, Mike took me into hisoffice and showed me all the support he hadgathered. He said `I have this committee'sapproval. Basically, it's going to happen,'"Holena said.

Holena said he sees the work he has put intoorganizing the event meaningless now.

"This has been a nightmare," Holena said.

"I've put so much work into this and it's allbeen swept awa,." he said.

Beys said Wednesday that there was still achance that the group would not accept thecouncil's bid.

Both Beys and Aronberg were unavailable forcomment last night