Students To Oppose Dershowitz

By Celeste M. K. yuen, Contributing Reporter

Three first-year law students yesterday said they will help the prosecution of former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson in response to reports that Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz will represent Tyson in an appeal of his rape conviction.

An ad hoc committee formed by James J. McNasby, Michelle D. Greene and J. Ashley Barr is urging law students to volunteer their legal services to the prosecution.

"Dershowitz's perceived insensitivity represents a societal attitude to ward rape victims," said Greene.

The students' action is not aimed at Dershowitz but rather at the implied belief that "men will always get off," McNasby said.

Tyson, a former heavyweight champion of the world, was convicted last month in Indianapolis of raping 18-year-old Miss Black America pageant contestant.

ABC News and Newsweek magazine have reported that Dershowitz--who has defended such high-profile clients as Klaus von Bulow and LeonaHelmsley--intends to represent Tyson in an appealof the conviction.

And during a February 22 appearance on theDennis Miller Show, Dershowitz called the Tysonverdict "unjust."

But Dershowitz refused yesterday to comment onreports that he would accept Tyson as a client.

"I'll tell you this much," Dershowitz said. "Ifthe students continue their protests, it's goingto push me into taking the case."

The students said they respect Tyson's right toan appeal and Dershowitz's right to defend him.

"This is not a Dershowtiz bashing," McNasbysaid. "It's a matter of women's concerns."

McNasby said the Tyson case has an importantplace in a rapidly evolving debate about how womenare treated in the American judicial system. Hepointed to the William Kennedy Smith rape trialand to Anita hill's charges of sexual harassmentas recent incidents contributing to the debate.

"Victims of rape receive little support,"Greene said. "We want to spread the message thatat Harvard Law School, the victim has support hereas well."

Barr said that she questions Dershowitz'spersonal attitude toward rape.

"Dershowitz has a fixation on the issue ofrape," Barr said. "He consistently uses it as anexample in the classroom."

But the law professor defended his teaching onrape.

"[Students] have to understand that teachersare not here to make students feel good,"Dershowitz said. "Instead, [teachers] challengeideas of rape, homicide or any other crime."

Several witnesses who would have spoken insupport of Tyson have come forward now that themedia has disclosed the rape victim's name,Dershowtiz said.

"Whether or not I take it, the case is far fromover," he said