Hockey Center Rules Threaten Charity Concert

Council's De La Soul Show in Jeopardy

By D. RICHARD De silva, Crimson Staff Writer

Officers of the Undergraduate Council said last night they may not be able to hold the De La Soul concert at the end of the month because of Athletic Department limitations on the use of Bright Hockey Center.

Michael P. Beys '94, who spearheaded the council's efforts to organize the event, said limits on ticket selling and seating will force the charity concert to lose money.

De La Soul, a rap and hip-hop group, is the main act in the annual Rock for Shelter concert to benefit the homeless.

"At best, [the council] may lose $4000 and the homeless will get a measly $3000," said Beys, council treasurer.

Beys said Associate Athletic Director for Operations Robert Malekoff wants to place a number of conditions on use of the hockey center, citing security reasons and potential damage to the facility. Previously, Beys said, Malekoff did not want non-Harvard students to attend the concert.

Council officials are meeting with Malekoff this afternoon for another round of negotiations.

According to Beys, Malekoff restricted ticket sales to 2000 tickets even though the capacity of the arena is over 3000. In addition, tickets will be available only through the University--none will be sold at the door--and students can buy only one ticket each.

Nhan T. Vu '92, a concert organizer, said Malekoff's concerns about security are unfounded. He said that the current security plan includes 21 policeofficers and 40 student security personnel, andthat Harvard University Police Chief Paul E.Johnson told him the plan was sufficient for theconcert.

Vu said athletic Department restrictions maycreate a dangerous situations instead of makingthe event safer.

"It's my opinion if that we have no advancedticket sales, 500 people will be the door," Vusaid. "That's going to cause a riot."

Vu said he hopes Malekoff will agree to a crowdlimit of 2500, the minimum necessary for theconcert to "survive."

"His new restrictions sink the concert as awhole," said Vu. "The only thing we can do is goabove him. It's not a choice between having aconcert with restrictions and having a concertwithout restrictions. It's a choice between havinga concert and not having a concert."

But Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 lastnight said that the Athletic Department isresponsible for Bright Arena and how it is used.Jewett also said the department had reason forimposing restrictions on the concert-organizers,noting that it was "trying to provide for the safeoperation of the concert.

"If' they've got concerns, that's within theirauthority," Jewett said. "I think they're tryingto do what they can to help.

In order to salvage the concert, Vu said thecouncil may have to appeal to Malekoff'ssuperiors--namely Athletic Director Bill Cleary'56, Jewett and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R.Knowles.

Jewett said it is "unlikely that people wouldoverrule Malekoff."

Beys said the council could lose about $4000 onthe concert--it is budgeted for $26,000, andrevenues with the 2000-person limit are projectedfor only $22,000.

Previous plans for 3000 concert goers wouldhave provided "considerable" profits, which wouldhave been donated to the homeless, according toBeys.

Vu said precedent favors the council, citingthe council-organized 1989 Ziggy Marley concert,which seated over 2800 people in Bright Arena andwas open to the public. Tickets were also sold atthe door