BC Eagles Soar Past Batsmen in Home Opener

By Justin R. P. ingersoll

The Boston College baseball team spoiled Harvard's 128th opening day, walking away from Soldiers Field with two victories yesterday.

Capitalizing on 12 bases on balls, the Eagles swept the Crimson in a double-header, 10-7 and 6-3. BC raised its record to 7-4 while Harvard dropped to 4-8.

"When we're hitting well, we're not pitching. And when we're pitching well, we're not hitting," sophomore leftfielder Dave Morgan said.

Junior centerfielder Juan Zarate said the Crimson still has trouble playing consistently.

"We didn't do the little things right today. I blew a key sacrifice bunt, for example," Zarate confessed.

Harvard had solid production from its bats during the doubleheader, collecting sixteen hits.

The hits were scattered throughout the lineup except for Morgan who posted big numbers again.

Morgan said yesterday after the Crimson's 9-5 loss to Providence that he was "feeling really good up at the plate these days."

He sure is. The sophomore exploded yesterday collecting a double, single and home run for one RBI in the two contests.

The first game was a slugfest. Harvard usually likes it that way, but apparently BC does as well.

The Crimson delivered three home runs. Giardi opened the second inning with a bang. DelVecchio led off the fourth with a homer to center field and Morgan followed with a shot to right center. Of course, these were all solo home runs.

BC collected five runs (off two walks and one error) in the fourth inning to take an 8-3 lead.

Harvard did come back with four runs in the bottom of the inning, but it was not enough.

In the second game, Harvard pitching held BC to a mere four hits. Usually a team that musters so little offense is a big loser. That is, unless it finds another way to win.

BC discovered the glories of the walk. Harvard's pitchers surrendered eight free passes in the contest. The problems began when freshman starter Scott Davidson fell behind in the counts early on in the game. He was pulled in the second inning after giving up four runs and three bases on balls.

Harvard was not able to overcome this deficit, despite the splendid relief pitching of freshman Jamie Irving.

Irving replaced Davidson and proceeded to retire seven straight BC batters in an amazing ambidextrous show. Irving pitched the third inning right-handed and sent BC down 1-2-3 in the fifth left-handed.

He had tallied three strikeouts when he ran into trouble in the sixth and was replaced by the Crimson's closer, junior Tony Lancette.

BOSTON COLLEGE, 10-7 at Soldiers Field Park   R  H  E BC  102  511  0xx  --  10  112 Harvard  012  400  0xx  --  7  9   0

HR: BC--Fergus, Carmichael; Harvard--Giardi, DelVecchio, Morgan. 3B: None 2B: BC--Taylor (2), Fergus; Harvard--Scanlan, Andriola. E: Bc--Carmichael, Fergus

WP: McKenna; LP: Hurley

BOSTON COLLEGE, 6-3 at Soldiers Field Park   R  H  E BC  040  020  xxx  --  6  4   1 Harvard  020  110  000  --  3  7   1

HR: None. 3B: None. 2B: BC--Fraser (2); Harvard--Morgan. E: BC--Romboli; Harvard--Giardi.

WP: Romboli; LP: Davidson

WP: McKenna; LP: Hurley

WP: Romboli; LP: Davidson