Batsmen Maul Terriers, 14-2

Crimson Salvages Consolation; Eagles Win 'Pot Final, 3-1

By Justin R. P. ingersoll, Special to the Crimson

BOSTON--Cecil B. DeMille would have enjoyed this game .

With his flair for extravaganza and overblown productions, he would have revelled in Harvard's 14-2 destruction of Boston University here at Fenway park in the consolation round of the c Beanpot Tournament.

He'd have relished the Crimson's three homeruns, 16 hits and systematic pillaging of the hapless Terrier Nine.

Belaboring the point with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, Harvard (13-11 overall, 4-2 EIBL) more than made up for yesterday's extrainning loss to Boston College in the first round of the Beanpot.

"We just wanted to get our frunstrations out, I suppose," senior designated hitter Nick DelVecchio said.

DelVecchio certainly did. The Natick-native did his best imitation of Ted Williams (in the home of the Sox legend no less), going 4-4 with two homeruns, a double, a single and eight RBIs (a Beanpot record).

Having the experience of six previous games at the ballpark, helped , DelVecchio said.

"I felt really relaxed this time around," he said. "I felt fantastic."

In his first at bat in the second inning, with sophomore shortstop Mike Giardi on first base, DelVecchio got the pitch that makes a hitter's eyes light up: the hanging curveball.

The Mather senior ripped it 380 feet into the bullpen in rightfield to give the Crimson an early 2-0 lead.

His next at-bat was in the third inning. With the bases loaded, DelVecchio slammed a 0-1 pitch high off the Green Monster in left for a double and two more RBIs.

His day wasn't over, thought. In the fifth, DelVecchio would hammer another hanging curve-this time into the screen in left for an opposite-field homerun--and in the sixth, his bases-loaded single would score freshman James Crowley and senior Dan Scanlan.

Sophomore leftfielder Dave Morgan had the burden of following DelVecchio's act all day long in the line-up. In the stands, DelVecchio's mother had been good-naturedly kidding Mrs. Morgan about "what's a shame" it was.

Morgan came up in the sixth with DelVecchio on first and Eric Weissman on second.

Not to be outdone by DelVecchio , Morgan jumped on the firsr pitch (a fastball) and crushed it for a titanic home run over the Green Monster and onto the roof of the parking garage on Ted Williams Way.

"It was the farthest ball I've ever hit, plain and simple," Morgan said. "I felt like it was the most power I could get from a swing."

After the game, discussion centered on how far it went. Senior pitcher Sean Johnston claimed it was "500 feet at least."

A veteran Boston Globe reporter, estimated a conservative "450 feet".

The tale of the tape is yet to be told, but the consensus is that it was the longest homerun in the tournament's three-year history.

Morgan went 2-3 on the day with four RBIs.

Harvard batted around in the sixth inning as freshmen substitutes Bo Bernhard, Bryan Brissette and Crowley all registered singles.

With all the offensive fireworks, it's easy to forget who held the Crimson's lead.

Junior pitcher Ray Desrocher (2-0 ) hurled a splendid four-hitter, walked none and struck out six. He allowed only six baserunners and retired the BU side in order in the first, second, fourth and fifth innings.

Boston College downed Northeasern 3-1, to win the third annual baseball Beanpot championship.

HARVARD, 14-2 at Fenway Park   R  H  E BU  000  000  2  --  2  4  3 Harvard  034  025  X  --  14  16   2

HR:BU--None; Harvard--Delvecchio (2). Morgan.3B: None. 2B:BU--None; Harvard--Zarate, Hill, Delvecchio. ENone.

WP: Derocher (2-0); LP: Goldstein (2-4)