Rawls' Final Lecture?

May Have Taught Last Undergraduate Course

By Sunah N. Kim, Contributing Reporter

To the accompaniment of occasional camera flashes and loud applause, Conant University Professor of Philosophy Emeritus John Rawls yesterday ended what may well be his final undergraduate lecture.

Approximately 100 students turned out in Harvard Hall for the last session of Philosophy 171, "Political and Social Philosophy," which Rawls has taught for decades.

The class may not be the last of Rawls' career. The philosopher said yesterday that he may teach a graduate seminar next year, but he said that at this point, nothing is definite.

"I'd do it again if the chance arose, but that's not entirely in my hands," he said.

Toward the end of yesterday's lecture, several members of the audience snapped photographs of Rawls. Students broke into hearty applause as he stepped back from the podium.

After class, students expressed their administration and respect for Rawls and the course.

One of his students, Hamilton Chan Jr. '95, said that "it has been an incredible opportunity to learn from one of the world's leading philosophers."

Chan said that he read about Rawls' theory inhigh school, when he was on the debate team.

"It's been a special experience to learn fromthe man himself," Chan said.

Steven A. Kelts '94 expressed his respect forthe professor and his "non-standard philosophicalinterpretations."

"The course has been amazing; Rawls' philosophyis wonderfully clear," said social anthropologyconcentrator Lara Freidenfelds '94.

Rawls, a world-renowned philosopher, and authorthis year to teach the course.

Philosophy 171 treats the works of John StuartMill, Karl Marx, Jean Jacques Rousseau and JohnLocke, as well as Rawls' own philosophy.

His last lecture dealt with the "relationshipbetween political conceptions and comprehensiveconceptions," Rawls said, adding that"comprehensive conceptions" refers to religiousand philosophical views.

Charles A. Nicholas III, a teaching fellow forthe course and a graduate student of philosophy,said that "it has been the best experience to be aTF under Rawls; he is approachable, willing tospend time with the students, and is responsive toquestion."

Rawls said that his last undergraduate coursewas a pleasurable experience.

"I enjoyed doing it; I've always enjoyed it,"Rawls said. "During the course, things occur to methat didn't before and that's always interesting.