Ecolympics May Have to Give Up Name

Trademarks at Harvard

By Rajath Shourie, Contributing Reporter

The United States Olympics Committee notified the University earlier this year that they consider the use of "Ecolympics" violation of their trademark rights.

The Olympics Committee has alleged that the Environmental Action Committee's use of the word "Ecolympics" to describe its energy conservation program is a trademark violation.

"While the USOC applauds Harvard University for its energy conservation efforts, [its] use of the name 'Ecolympics' is not acceptable," wrote James L. Bikoff, an attorney for the Olympic Committee, in a letter to Harvard's trademark licensing coordinator.

Ecolympics is a competition between all the houses and first-year dorms to save the most energy. Monthly winners are awarded a night of free Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Brett R. Huff '93, chair of the Environmental Action Committee, said that it was likely that next year the program would have a new name.

Huff said that he plans to write to the Olympic Committee and ask if they are seriously concerned about the event retaining its name, saying that the use of the name is "not such a big deal."

However, he said that, since the Olympic Committee had gone to the trouble of writing the letter, he was not hopeful that they would agree.

The Olympic Committee's letter also states that the organization "would appreciate your utilizing a different name for your conservation program; i.e., one that does not include Olympic terminology."

According to the letter, the Ecolympics first came to the attention of the Olympics Committee in June 1991, when the program was mentioned in an article in Glamour magazine.

University officials said yesterday that it seems likely that the Ecolympics will have to undergo some changes in light of the letter.

Michael N. Lichten, Direction of Physical Operations in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the administration adviser to the program said, "It appears that [the Olympic Committee] has a legal position."

He ruled out canceling the pro- the program is still around--and no longerhurts the U.S. Olympic Committee either."

In recent years the Harvard Dining Services andseveral house committees have been forced to stopdistributing products because of alleged trademarkinfringements.

Former Harvard student Andrew M. Starr notifiedseveral companies about the violations. Starr wasnot involved in the Olympic Committee's recentaction