Tears for Fears' Greatest Hits

NEW MUSIC

By Ganesh Ramatrishnan

Tears Roll Down, the new greatest hits collection to come from the Tears for Fears, makes for hours of happy listening.

Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) is a compilation album that features most of the best known releases by Tears For Fears over the last 10 years. It includes hits such as "Mad World"--the track which brought the group its initial success back in 1983--and the newly released single "Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)."

The British group, comprised of guitarist/songwriter Roland Orzabal and vocalist Curt Smith, was founded in the early 1980s when the musicians decided that the solutions to a lot of the problems in the world, including their own, could be corrected effectively with access to Primal Therapy. Calculating that such access would come to them only if they become rich and famous (and could thus afford it) the two men formed their band.

Their first album, Hurting, was released in February 1983 and debuted at number one in the UK charts, selling over two million copies worldwide, However, their big break came with the release of their second album Songs from the Big Chair. The album featured two big hits, "Shout" and "Everybody wants to Rule the World," reached number one in the USA, and sold over eight million copies worldwide.

These two songs are the best in the compilation, although there are several other excellent numbers in the album.

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" is enchanting--its latent message and gentle melody are beautiful, but it is the superb vocal performance on the song which makes it as good as it is. "Woman In Chains," boasts a sharp, synthetic sound that enhances its cold, almost sinister message. "Mothers Talk," also taken from Songs from the Big Chair, teems with emotional intensity. And the brand new single, "Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)" is an enchanting song. It features a rhythmic melody strangely song. It features a rhythmic melody strangely enhanced by a harsh, synthetic instrumentation.

All in all, Tears Roll Down is a collection that will please diehard fans and Tears for Fears New comers alike.